You are here
First Year Programs
SUNY Potsdam is the first school in the SUNY system to merge academics, residential accommodations, and the faculty into one first year program!
Become familiar with your orientation and introduction process, our First Year Success Seminar and other programs sponsored by this office.
- Spring Orientation (New Students & Transfer Students)
- Fall Orientation (New Students)
- Fall Orientation (Transfer Students)
- First Year Experience Program
Explore the residential component of the first year program available at SUNY Potsdam.
- First Year Interest Groups
Browse through the different academic cluster of classes offered to incoming students and see which one is right for you.
First Year Success Seminar (FYSS)
Part of being enrolled in First Year Success Seminar is that new first-year students share a common experience that will enhance their learning in and outside the college classroom. This year those enrolled in FYSS will share the common experience of writing their first college essay that the FYSS instructor will collect the first day of class. Click on the above PDFs to access this year?s assignment and to review the correct works cited format you need to follow.
Archived FYSS Information & Photos
- 2016 The Five Elements of Effective Thinking by Edward Burger and Michael Starbird
- 2015 Common Essay example of the proper Works Cited format (PDF)
- 2014 Paul Loeb
- 2013 Ragtime
- 2012 Michele Norris
- 2011 Rye Barcott
If you have any questions about our first year programs, please contact Annette Robbins (Director, Student and Family Transitions) at firstname.lastname@example.org.