Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society
The Omicron Zeta Chapter (SUNY Potsdam Chapter) of Alpha Sigma Lambda is the international honor society chartered expressly for Non-Traditional students who are 24 years of age or older. Their members are adult students who engage in balancing the responsibilities of home, family, career, community and education. Each spring semester a number of non-traditional students who meet the national standards for student membership are inducted into this prestigious honor society.
Alpha Sigma Lambda's mission is to provide an on-campus association for and recognition of academically outstanding students in continuing higher education.
This recognition takes the form of a certificate of achievement, an insignia pin, a cord that can be worn at graduation as well as the chance to earn scholarship funds.
Standards for Alpha Sigma Lambda membership at SUNY Potsdam are as follows:
- Members must be matriculated, undergraduate students at SUNY Potsdam and have a minimum of 24 graded semester hours completed at SUNY Potsdam.
- Members must be at least 24 years of age.
- Those selected must have a minimum grade point average of 3.2. The cumulative scholastic record of the student as interpreted by the institution where membership is to be conferred shall be the basis for computing scholastic eligibility.
- Members shall be selected only from the top 20 percent of the criteria listed above.
- Eligible members, for spring 2015's induction, will be notified in March 2015.
Benefit of being a member
Alpha Sigma Lambda, is offering a total of eleven $2500 scholarships for the 2015-2016 academic year. You do not have to be a member of Alpha Sigma Lambda to be eligible to apply. (SUNY Potsdam has a chapter.) Each college with an Alpha Sigma Lambda chapter may submit two applications to the national level. There are currently over 300 chapters in the U.S. but less than half of them submit applications.
- To be eligible for the scholarship, you must have a minimum of a 3.2 GPA, have completed 30 hours at SUNY Potsdam, be at least 24 years of age, have financial need, and will be enrolled for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- You do NOT need to be a member of ASL to apply.
Scholarship Information and Application Packets
Download the Scholarship Information Packet (Please read first)
Application packets MUST be submitted by April 15, 2015, to:
Patrick Massaro, Military and Veteran Student Coordinator, 128 Sisson Hall, SUNY Potsdam
Applicants may mail the packet to: Patrick Massaro, Military and Veteran Student Coordinator, 128 Sisson Hall, Potsdam, NY 13676
Do NOT submit packet to the Alpha Sigma Lambda home office in Illinois.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact:
Patrick Massaro, Military and Veteran Student Coordinator
128 Sisson Hall