Faculty Guide to Advising
An adviser assists students in pursuing his/her educational goals, facilitating access to the full range of learning opportunities and services available at SUNY Potsdam. To succeed in this helping role, an adviser should:
- Read through and understand your Adviser Responsibilities.
- Have a thorough understanding of a student's Requirements for Graduation.
- Be familiar with the campus layout as well as services & opportunities available to your advisees.
- Use degree and major/minor checklists so that no requirement is overlooked.
- Maintain accurate records including progress reports, copies of registration worksheets, and transfer evaluations, if applicable.
- Encourage the student to take a physical activity course as a change of pace.
- Assist advisees in accessing appropriate support services such as tutoring and counseling services, and activities such as major clubs, associations or honor societies, that are needed to successfully pursue the student’s educational plan.
- Seek to maintain a sense of humor & empathy throughout the advising experience!