You are here
Advising Transfer Students
General Education Requirements:
- Students entering SUNY Potsdam, having earned an Associate?s degree (A.A., A.S. or A.A.S) from a regionally accredited two-year college, will be admitted with full junior standing.
- Students transferring to SUNY Potsdam with a SUNY A.A., A.S., or A.A.S. degree, having completed 30 semester hours of general education including 7 out of 10 SUNY General Education requirements, will be exempt from any additional Potsdam General Education Foundations and Modes of Inquiry requirements not already satisfied. The 7 out of 10 General Education requirements must include Basic Communication and Mathematics.
- Transfer students entering Potsdam without having earned an associate degree will have their work evaluated for satisfaction of General Education requirements on a course-by-course basis.
Modern Language Requirement:
- For transfer students coming to Potsdam with 45 or more hours of college work, the Modern Language (ML) requirement depends on the number of hours they complete at Potsdam.
- For every 30 credit hours taken at Potsdam, they must complete 1 semester of a modern language at Potsdam, or until they pass the 103 level in their chosen language.
- The transfer credit evaluation will provide the student with the number of hours needed for this requirement.
- If transfer students have completed 4 years of a modern language in High School, they will need to have a copy of their High School transcript sent to our Academic Transfer Services in the Office of Admissions to confirm that their ML requirement is complete.
Physical Education Requirement:
- Transfer students must complete 1 PE activity/Health Wellness course at Potsdam for every 30 hours they complete at Potsdam, up to a maximum of 2 PE activities/Health Wellness courses, unless already completed at a previous college.
- The transfer credit evaluation will provide the student with the number of PE activities/Health Wellness courses needed for this requirement. Individual transfer PE activity/Health Wellness courses which earned a passing grade, whether they earned 0, .5, 1, 2, or 3 credits at the other school, each fulfill one of our PE requirements.
Upper Division Credit:
- Very few courses from a 2 year college can count for Upper Division (300 level or above) credit at Potsdam, even if the Transfer Credit Evaluation indicates they are the "equivalent" of an Upper Division course taught here.
- Check for the "UD" designator. Also, since transfer students have fewer semesters to earn the 45 Upper Division credits required for graduation, they should be warned to count their Upper Division credits carefully, and assisted in choosing Upper Division courses to fulfill General Education and elective credits.