Academic Skills and Support
The following services are available to TRiO participants.
Individualized consultation is available in the following areas:
- Learning and Study Skill Development. TRiO staff provide academic tutoring in learning strategies, study skills and time management. These services may be offered to you prior to assigning you (a) peer content tutor(s) or as a supplement to your peer content tutoring.
- Academic Planning. Course planning prior to meeting with academic advisors; identifying the consequences of selecting the S/U option for a course or for dropping or withdrawing from a course; and/or transferring to another school or withdrawing from SUNY Potsdam.
- Peer Content Tutoring. TRiO initially accepts one (1) tutor request from each participant. Requests are accepted from the beginning of the second week of each semester. Tutor requests are fulfilled subject to tutor availability.
TRiO is unable to provide tutors in the following areas:
- hybrid history courses, as there are Undergraduate Learning Assistants available in the History Lab;
- technique courses in Art, Dance, Drama, Music and Theatre;
- senior seminar courses in any department;
- cross registration and/or on-line courses offered by another institution.
- Advocacy. TRiO staff members not only advocate for students, but also assist them in becoming strong self-advocates.
- Enhanced Early Alerts. Reviewing narrative feedback from faculty prior to mid-term/early alerts. Information gained from reviewing these reports help students improve their performance or confirm that their current strategies are working.
- Academic Recovery Program. TRiO staff members work closely with students on Warning or Probation to regain Acceptable Academic Standing.