You are here
SSS Tutor Qualifications & Application Procedure
- SSS tutors are in Acceptable Academic Standing
- They must have achieved 3.3 or better in the courses they tutor
- They must demonstrate:
- strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- sound organizational and study skills
- and have a willingness to help other SUNY Potsdam students be successful
- Students with "weaker" qualifications are accepted upon written approval by the faculty member currently teaching the course in which students want to become
- To become an SSS tutor you must submit a TUTOR APPLICATION AND A COMPLETED FACULTY ENDORSEMENT FORM (available in the SSS Office, 119 Sisson).
- Applications are accepted for all undergraduate courses, except for Labs, performance technique classes (music, dance, drama) and distance learning classes.
- SSS tutors begin employment with an orientation and training program designed to provide the skills you need to work with students.
- Once trained in the basics of peer tutoring and with faculty recommendation for the course(s) they want to tutor, they are assigned to students.