You are here
Email Feedback Program
Email Feedback on your Writing from The Writer's Block
The Writer's Block offers email feedback from a tutor on your writing.
IF we have a tutor available to respond in our weekly schedule, we will email feedback to you within 24-36 hours on weekdays.
To use this service, you must read and accept the guidelines below.
Guideline: kinds of feedback tutors will give you
WE WILL NOT REWRITE YOUR WORK FOR YOU! Remember, we are not the teacher and we are not content experts. However, we'll show you some problems and helpful handouts. Instead of editing, you'll get this from our tutors:
- A quick summary of what you wrote, to show you how it hit us.
- A question or two to help you go further. Questions about confusing spots where we couldn?t tell what you meant.
- Highlighted errors and links to handouts about them. This includes confusing or major errors in punctuation, grammar and citation. WE CANNOT RESPOND TO EVERY ERROR; we are not an editing service.
Guideline: how to request Writer's Block email feedback:
- Email your draft to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put "feedback" in the subject line. Attach your draft as a .docx, .doc, or .rtf files. We cannot open .wps and pages.
- If you are a Crane student, write up a cover note as described below and email your work directly to tutor and Crane student Julia Bellante at email@example.com. Submit your work by Friday 4 p.m. latest and Julia will reply to you by Monday morning latest.
- COVER NOTE: At the beginning of the draft, please state the following; WE MUST HAVE THIS INFO or we will not respond to your work:
- Your name and email address
- The assignment that was given to you (copy and paste any part of it if you wish)
- Your concerns and what you would like us to focus on when we read your draft
- Copy this statement: "I understand that Writer's Block tutors cannot edit my paper for me. They will give feedback and point out things for me to work on."
- Download the Self-editing Guide (PDF). The tutor will refer you to it for revisions.
- We will REPLY telling you WHEN to expect feedback. If our schedule is full, we will tell you so promptly. Please allow 24-36 hours during weekdays to get your feedback.
The Writer's Block is not an editing service. We cannot correct errors for you. We will help you find what you can improve and share helpful resources.
- We cannot reply to questions about the tutor's feedback. If you would like to talk further with the tutor, please make an appointment in the Writer's Block.
- If English is not your first language, a face-to-face visit with a tutor will be much more helpful. We will provide email feedback to second-language writers, but we encourage you to come in.
- Face-to-face conversations are usually more useful to writers than email feedback. Make an appointment in the Writer's Block to get the full benefit of our tutoring service!