IMPORTANT: Please read the below message concerning the transition from Zoom to Teams
April 22, 2022
In 2020, as we shifted to remote course delivery in response to the pandemic, Computing & Technology Services purchased a Zoom contract to help facilitate instruction.
Given the shift back to in-person instruction and the significant improvements to Office 365 tools, coupled with the need to reduce campus budgetary expenses, the campus can no longer support the use of Zoom past this academic year.
While campus users may choose to use Zoom through free or subscription-based personal accounts, CTS strongly encourages campus users to take advantage of the full conferencing features available through Microsoft Teams.
Creating and scheduling meetings is seamless in Teams/Outlook. Additionally, users outside of SUNY Potsdam are still able to join Teams meetings. After reviewing the videos below, please visit the Teams section of CCI’s Tech Tools website to find more tutorials on Teams features.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the IT Service Desk by email at email@example.com
Computing & Technology Services
Create Your SUNY Potsdam Zoom Account
To create your SUNY Potsdam Zoom account please go to https://potsdam-edu.zoom.us/ and click the “Sign in” button. A tab will open in your web browser to the SUNY Potsdam login page. Log in with your CCA credentials. If you are an Active Student, this will automatically provision you with a basic user account. If you are Active Employee and need a Licensed account, please email the IT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and please provide a justification of why you need it.
To determine your current licensing, please log into https://potsdam-edu.zoom.us/ and click on the "Profile" tab to the left navigation bar. Scroll down until you find the "Account" section and then you will see which license you have. It will either say "Basic" or "Licensed".
To give your profile a picture of yourself/avatar to be more easily recognizable in meetings click this link for instructions. If you'd like to set a virtual background that people see while you're in a meeting see the instructions at this link.
If you have not yet installed the Zoom application on your device, please go online and download the “Zoom Client for Meetings” or go to the App Store on your device and search for “Zoom”. If you are on a campus owned Mac then you will already have it installed.
- Open the Zoom application on your device.
- Click to check the Keep me signed in checkbox and then click Sign in with SSO.
- Enter potsdam-edu in the Company Domain field and click Continue.
- A tab will open in your web browser to the SUNY Potsdam login page. Log in with your CCA credentials.
- Once you sign in the Zoom application should open.
- In your web browser, navigate to https://potsdam-edu.zoom.us/.
- You will be taken to the SUNY Potsdam login page. Log in with your CCA credentials.
- Once you are logged in, you will be taken to your SUNY Potsdam Zoom account where you can schedule a new meeting, start a new meeting, or join a meeting.
Zoom offers several ways to protect your meetings. Review the following practices to help determine the best method for you.
- Allow only signed-in (authenticated) users to join
- Uncheck "Enable join before hosts" in your Meeting Settings
- Require a password to join a meeting or a webinar
- Mute participant audio on entrance by default
- Prevent attendees from screen sharing
- Lock your meeting
- Prevent removed participants from rejoining
- Send participants not on your Zoom account or not signed in to Waiting Room (Meetings only)
- Turn off file transfer
- Turn off annotation
- Put participants on hold
- Disable video
- Disable private chat
- Mask phone number in the participant list
See Host and Co-Host Controls in a Meeting for further instruction.
Zoom Cloud Storage is limited. Because of this limitation CTS has enabled the "Auto delete cloud recordings after 7 days" setting for all Zoom accounts. Once you receive a Zoom email stating that your recorded video is available, it is suggested that you download it to OneDrive. Zoom is now integrated with Knowmia. Zoom cloud recordings will have a copy of the recordings sent to their "Zoom" folder within Knowmia. For more information please check out the Zoom section to the CCI Tech Tools page.