You are here
Internships & Career Opportunities
"The history department goes above and beyond for its students. Working as an undergraduate learning assistant for two years now, I have seen the way the professors in the department give their all to see their students excel. I feel privileged to have been able to be part of such an extraordinary department."
- Brittany Fitzpatrick, History Major Class of 2014
Undergraduates at SUNY Potsdam are encouraged to gain supplementary experience in their chosen field by doing on-campus and off-campus internships. Contact the Experiential Education Office at (315) 267-2507.
Our history students have interned at:
- Almonzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder Farm, Malone, NY
- Essex County Historical Society, Elizabethtown, NY
- F. W. Crumb Library, Potsdam, NY
- Erie Canal Museum, Syracuse, NY
What can I do with a history major?
- One modern historian answered this hoary question in the following way. See Catherine Lavender's "What can I do with a History Major?"
- For a taste of opportunities in various fields of history, see the American Historical Association's guide to careers.
- Information about skills expected of job candidates in public history is covered in Philip M. Kutz, "Public History Employers--What Do They Want?"
- For opportunities in business, see Business Careers for Students of History.
Opportunities in the Field
About half of the department's majors also seek certification as teachers, primarily in secondary education. The remainder seek, and receive, a broad liberal arts education that prepares them for a variety of careers. Some SUNY Potsdam history alumni enter the workforce immediately after completing their degree or education. They work in a wide variety of jobs in corporations and government agencies. Others pursue professional graduate education in fields in the discipline, completing graduate school in history. Several who have earned advanced degrees in history work in museums or historical sites, preserving the artifacts of the past and presenting them to the public. Others teach in colleges and universities.