Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in Mathematics
About the Program
After a hiatus, pending support, we plan to reboot the REU program for Summer 2021 either in-person (if deemed safe) or virtually. Students will typically work in groups of 3 - 4 with a faculty adviser from SUNY Potsdam or Clarkson University. The program will tentatively run for eight weeks (June and July). Participants will receive a stipend. If the program is in-person, participants will receive free housing in an on campus apartment or dorm room with access to cooking facilities, as well as funds to support travel expenses to/from Potsdam
Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
Student must be full-time undergraduate students. Applicants should have completed the calculus sequence, linear algebra and at least one more upper-level undergraduate course.
The program will be conducted on the campus of SUNY College at Potsdam, with the resources of nearby Clarkson University also available. SUNY Potsdam is widely known for its undergraduate mathematics program, and Clarkson University has a strong tradition of STEM research.
Interested applicants should submit their application materials via MathPrograms.
We strongly encourage applications from minorities, women, people with disabilities and students from schools with limited research opportunities.
TentativeTopics to Be Explored
- Fluid-flow coherency via braid theory and machine learning (Marko Budisic, Clarkson University)
- Links in embedded graphs (Joel Foisy, SUNY Potsdam)
- Biological systems using an agent based modeling approach (Diana White, Clarkson University)
- Numerical solutions to high-dimensional stochastic differential equations (Guangming Yao, Clarkson University)
- Our REU profile
- REU Publications
- Past REU Group Photos
- National Science Foundation
- American Mathematical Society
Dr. Joel Foisy, Department of Mathematics
44 Pierrepont Avenue
Potsdam, New York, U.S.A. 13676
Phone: (315) 267 - 2084