Information about The Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam
The information and links below are to assist those applying for the position of Dean of the Crane School of Music. Reading through all of this information is not required, and this is not meant to cover all possible questions candidates may have about the school. However, the search committee wished to make this information easily accessible as well as convey a more detailed picture of the Crane School.
- Overall Fall Censuses 2020: 590 students (Fall 2019: 603)
- Undergraduate Students: 570
- Graduate Students: 20
- 16 MM Music Education
- 4 MM Performance (voice and piano students)
- Summer-only Master of Music - Music Education population (2019): 33
- Major breakdown
- BM Music Education: 434 students
- BM Performance: 133
- BM Music Business: 44
- BM Musical Studies: Music Theory: 13
- BM Musical Studies: Music History: 7
- BM Musical Studies: Composition: 21
- BA in Music: 25
- Approximately 110 double majors with two music majors (such as Music Education/Performance)
- There are also about 40 students in music/non-music double majors
- Music Student Organizations
- There are approximately 95 faculty and professional staff at Crane
- Student-to-faculty-ratio at Crane is 7:1
- Approximately 85% of Crane faculty are full-time faculty.
- Approximately 80% of Crane's full-time faculty are tenured or on the tenure-track.
- Crane is one of three Schools at SUNY Potsdam, along with the School of Arts & Sciences and the School of Education & Professional Studies.
- Crane has three departments and an area:
- Music Education Department
- Performance Department
- Music Theory, History, & Composition Department
- Music Business area
- Crane's organization chart may be found here
Events and concerts
Other Crane School of Music Information
- School overview, including the School's mission statement, information on accreditation, and our status as an all-Steinway School
- Information on Crane facilities and related areas, including information about a 2020-2021 renovation and addition project.
- Information on Crane's History
- The Crane Viewbook
- Recent Crane School, alumni, faculty, and student news.
- The Crane Student Handbook