The Loading... and Loading... programs are designed to develop student musicianship and technical expertise through individual study, and through solo, ensemble, and chamber performance opportunities, all under the direction of faculty artists.
Music Performance students at Crane can complete their program in as few as three (for the Instrumental Tracks) or four semesters (for the Vocal Track) during the academic year. Majors include voice, harp and guitar along with traditional instruments in the brass, woodwind, string and percussion families. With the abundance of performance opportunities, Crane can help further your musical performance skills!
Piano performance students can also consider adding the Concentration in Piano Pedagogy while in the Performance degree. A Master of Music double major in both Performance and Music Education is also possible for qualified students.
An online copy of our program brochure can be found here.
Applying for the M.M. in Peformance
- An earned baccalaureate degree in music from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate GPA between 2.75 and 3.0 may be granted provisional admission by approval of the Crane Graduate Admissions Committee. The Committee will also examine undergraduate music theory, music history, and aural skills grades. The preference is that the average GPA for these courses is also 3.0 or more.
The materials below should be sent to the Office of Graduate & Continuing Education.
- Submission of a Graduate Application to the Office of Graduate & Continuing Education. (phone:(315) 267- 2165 or (800) 458-1142, ext. 1; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submission of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, even if a degree was not earned.
- Submission of a typed letter of intent written by the applicant and expressing the applicant's professional goals as relevant to the program for which application is made.
- Submission of a non-refundable $50.00 US application processing fee.
- Submission of two letters of recommendation.
- International students must also provide a certification of finances; and for non-native English speaking candidates proof of TOEFL scores: see the International Graduate Admissions page and the Office of International Education & Programs for details.
All performance applicants must audition. To register for an audition and see our audition dates and locations, please go to the auditions area of our website. For any audition, live or by video, students must register ahead of time.
- For Fall 2021 Admission: Our final audition for the 2022-2023 audition season is February 25, 2021, but audition registration ends on February 12, 2023. All students must register for an audition. Those who do not register by the last day of registration will not be able to audition.
- Students who wish to request to have an audition by video (due to distance from Postdam, NY) must still register. Follow the procedures for submitting video auditions found at the bottom of this webpage, and their video must arrive by February 12, 2023.
- For those wishing to start in the Spring 2022 semester, the audition date is December 10, 2022 (last day to register: November 27, 2021), and video auditions must arrive by November 27, 2021.
Audition Repertoire: Please find repertoire information here or contact the Crane Graduate Office at email@example.com.
If you are applying for a graduate assistantship and/or scholarship, the application deadline is March 2nd for Fall admissions. All materials must be received by that date, including any audition videos; live auditions must have been completed by our final audition day as well. For all other students, the deadlines for admission are:
- Fall admission: May 1st to have all application materials in. See paragraph directly above regarding the deadline to audition. Note March 2nd deadline above for assistantship/scholarship consideration.
- Spring admission: November 15th for all materials except the audition.
- NOTE: International students will not be accepted to begin in the spring semester except under unusual circumstances. We encourage international students to apply to start in a fall semester.
Crane Graduate Office
The Crane School of Music
44 Pierrepont Avenue
Potsdam, NY 13676