The Friends of New York Scholarship is a merit-based undergraduate award whose purpose is to recognize the academic abilities of out-of-state students from selected states and provinces, and to make out-of-state tuition and a college education more affordable. The Friends of New York Scholarship is a limited renewable scholarship for up to $4,000 per year.
- May be awarded to legal residents of the following states/provinces: Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Ontario and Quebec.
- Admitted students from these states and provinces will automatically be reviewed for this merit-based award based on the following criteria: a minimum high school/secondary school cumulative GPA of 85 (3.00 on a 4.0 scale), or a minimum cumulative college transfer GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Submit a freshman or transfer scholarship application online. Students who have already submitted a scholarship application are not required to submit separately for this award. Recipients of this award will be notified in writing.
- The inaugural year for this scholarship will be 2020-21 (beginning in the fall semester).
- Recipients must maintain residence outside of New York State and legal residency in one of the selected states or provinces listed above.
- Recipients must be ineligible for in-state tuition in New York.
- Undergraduate freshmen may receive this scholarship for a maximum of 8 semesters, and must maintain a minimum SUNY Potsdam GPA of 2.0, in order to retain this scholarship.
- Undergraduate transfer students may receive this scholarship for a maximum of 4 semesters, and must maintain a minimum SUNY Potsdam GPA of 2.0, in order to retain this scholarship.
This scholarship may be combined with other SUNY Potsdam scholarships, although the total scholarship funding cap cannot exceed $8,000 per academic year.