How do I put my course online?
To begin, you must meet these three criteria:
- Your course is approved by the usual curricular approval process or is a WAYS course.
- Your course is part of an approved online or partially online program. (See the SUNY Potsdam Distance Learning Policy for a program approval guide.)
- You have completed the Online Pedagogy Training (Section 3A) or an equivalent.
The Online Program Coordinator
Your department will assign an Online Program Coordinator (OPC) (Appendix D) during the program approval process. Together with the Distance Learning Coordinator and the Provost’s Office, the OPC will schedule your course development work according to established priorities and Instructional Designer (ID) availability. You will work with an ID to create a high-quality online course site that complies with the SUNY Online Course Quality Review Rubric (OSCQR) (Section 3B).
Online Course Development Steps
- Prepare. Talk to your OPC to ensure you’re prepared for course development. Need to take the Online Pedagogy training? Need to reschedule your development? Your OPC is the one to see! Development takes place at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters roughly a year before delivery.
- File the Paperwork. You’ll need to sign a work-for-hire (WFH) contract, including the project timeline agreement, before any work can begin (WFH and other forms are administered through Adobe Sign by CCI staff). Your assigned ID will reach out just prior to the term of development to begin planning. For more about development timelines, see the Course Development and Timeline information (Section 3C) of the Distance Learning Policy. Ask your Dean or OPC for more about WFH.
- Create the Blueprints! When development begins, your assigned ID will share templates aligned to the OSCQR standards. Fill out the templates and return to ID. Typically, this takes 8 weeks.
- Construction Time! Using the templates/materials you completed, the ID will build the course site in the Learning Management System (LMS). Collaboration between you (SME) and the ID will occur during this time, which takes around 8 to 10 weeks.
- Review Time! Using the OSCQR rubric, the course site will be reviewed by three individuals: An Online Faculty Fellow (OFF), you, and the ID. An “Action Plan” for any revisions will be developed. This typically takes 2 weeks.
- Tie Up Loose Ends! You’ll work with your ID to address items identified in the Action Plan, finalize the course site for delivery, and then sign an OSCQR Certification form, confirming that the work-for-hire work has been completed. (Adobe Sign form managed by CCI staff.)
- Launch and Deliver! After your initial delivery, you will reflect with your ID during a “Learning Review” session to discover what worked and what needs tweaking. If you are ever unsure about keeping compliant, reach out to an ID. (Recertification is required every 3 years).