You are here
Mission & Goals
The Center for Diversity (CFD) fosters an inclusive and supportive environment that inspires students to become proactive members of the SUNY Potsdam Community. The Center is dedicated to advocating for students from underrepresented groups, and their allies, by providing opportunities for leadership development, cultural celebration, and educational reflection on a range of multicultural issues.
- Provide services and opportunities to meet the academic and personal concerns of students of color and diverse backgrounds.
- Assist students of color and diverse backgrounds with problem solving by providing referral information to appropriate college sources including Financial Aid, Career Services, Counseling and faculty.
- Work collaboratively with the Division of Enrollment Management, offices of Admissions and Financial Aid and other offices to recruit and retain a diverse student population.
- Sponsor/support programs and activities that will enhance the educational experience of all students.
- Provide a forum for the discussion of multicultural interests, issues and concerns.
- Assist college committees to continue their leadership role in initiating and promoting multicultural programs and initiatives.
- Serve as a resource, facilitator, coordinator and provider of technical assistance for multicultural programs and initiatives.
- Serve as a resource for existing multicultural student organizations and assist in the development and establishment of future academic, service and social organizations to meet the growing needs of students of color and diverse backgrounds.
- Provide quality educational, cultural, and social programs through the The Center for Diversity, for the College and the North Country community.
- Serve as a Center of Emphasis for the SUNY System Northern Consortium Native American Initiative.