Instagram Combined Shape quotation Created with Sketch. 69
Potsdam Prepared: Fall 2021 Updates

Is the CCC open for counseling?

The CCC is open for in-person counseling services to matriculated students. Students and staff are required to wear masks indoors per campus policy.

As with other offices on campus, our services and policies have been adapted to ensure that the staff remain healthy to serve you and that the environment remains safe for all students. We understand that not all these requirements are preferable, however physical safety is top priority. We are grateful for your understanding.

Are you doing in-person counseling or tele-counseling only?

We are happy to return to in-person counseling with options for telecounseling to support students when necessary. Please speak with your counselor for individualized plans of service delivery. 

Due to SUNY regulations, we are unable to work with students outside New York State. If you are engaging in a field experience  from a residence in another state, please contact your local mental health agency for counseling options.

How does telecounseling work?

You and your counselor will discuss telecounseling as an option if necessary. In the event this is deemed appropriate you will be emailed information detailing the telecounseling process along with other relevant information. It is important you read through this information carefully as it will assist you and your counselor during your appointment.


Can I walk in to make an appointment?

Yes, the CCC is open to students and appointments can be made in person at our office, 131 Van Housen hall. In addition students can call the office at (315) 267-2330 or email to make an appointment.  

You will receive appointment reminder emails and you can log onto the Student Health and Counseling Portal through BearPaws to see your appointment information. 

NOTE:  Due to the non-secure nature of email, the College Counseling Center staff cannot ensure the confidentiality of email communication.  Please use discretion when sending information that is sensitive in nature.  Also, please note that email is checked during business hours only, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

What do I do if I am in crisis?

If you are in crisis you can WALK DIRECTLY TO THE CCC to seek assistance. In addition, if you are in crisis, that is: “any situation in which a person's behavior puts them at risk of hurting themselves or others and/or prevents them from being able to engage in self-preservation behaviors”, you can also  CALL the College Counseling Center at (315) 267-2330 for assistance. Please note that email is NOT for situations where immediate response is required.

What do I do if I’m in crisis when the office is closed?

There are many places students can contact to talk to someone after-hours, as listed below.

If  you are having thoughts of suicide and cannot remain safe, please contact your Resident Assistant if you’re living on-campus or call University Police at (315) 267-2222 to be connected to a counselor via phone.

  • REACHOUT: (315) 265-2422
  • The Trevor Project: 866-488-7386
  • Crisis Text Line: TEXT HOME to 741741
  • Tribal support:
  • Suicide hotlines: 1-800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433)    OR  1-800-273-TALK (800-273-8255)