You are here
M.S.T. Childhood Education
The Master of Science for Teachers (MST), Childhood Education program is recognized and accredited nationally by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI). Candidates may complete most, but not all, of their degree requirements in the Watertown area if they choose. Also, Canadian students who complete this program and all New York State teacher certification requirements are eligible to apply to the Ontario College of Teachers for Ontario certification at the primary / junior divisions. This program is intended for candidates who do not hold a teaching certificate and seek to earn certification in Childhood Education (Grades 1-6).
What you'll gain...
- Management and discipline skills for the classroom
- Deeper understanding of the methods for teaching literacy, math, science and social studies in an elementary classroom
- Cutting edge teaching strategies and educational pedagogy
- Technology competence for educators
- Long range academic planning skills
Unique program features...
- Over 100 hours of classroom observation
- Two distinct 8 week student teaching placements
- Flexible class scheduling including many courses available in Watertown, NY
- Support and coursework necessary for Canadian students to be eligible for certification in Ontario under the new requirements (ask us for details!)
Victoria O. Hayes
Satterlee Hall 212
“Potsdam’s graduate program afforded me great opportunities that allowed me to excel as a future educator and stand out among a crowded field of job seekers.”
~ John Liquori ’14