Teach and Travel Abroad
Faculty from SUNY Potsdam have a number of places to start if they want to live, work, and do research abroad.
- Teach a short-term course overseas: Develop a short course (that could take place in either the summer or winterim sessions) to teach abroad. For more information about this process, see Developing Short-term Overseas Academic Programs. The Short-term, Faculty-led Guidebook will assist you in all aspects of preparation for short-term travel courses.
- One approach is to make use of existing links with partner universities abroad. SUNY Potsdam faculty have completed reciprocal exchanges with faculty of several of the exchange partners we currently have formal relationships with. Most recently, exchanges have been with:
- Liverpool Hope University in Liverpool, UK
- York St. John University in York, UK
- Universität Potsdam in Potsdam Germany
- Individual initiative led to the reciprocal exchange of several SUNY Potsdam faculty. This initiative can take a little more preparation work as planning details from travel logistics, accommodations and teaching loads can take more time to sort out than if the exchange agreement with the host university is already in place.
- Fulbright Scholar Program. These programs offer U.S. faculty, administrators and professionals, grants to lecture and/or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields, or to participate in international seminars. http://www.cies.org/us_scholars/
- CIEE International Faculty Development Seminars. CIEE International Faculty Development Seminars are in-depth encounters with the people, places, and issues that shape our world. Expect one to two intensive weeks of lectures by local faculty and experts from prestigious institutions, site visits that illuminate ideas explored in those lectures, and opportunities to contribute to lively discussions with international colleagues. Applicants can provide for grant funding to offset some program costs. http://www.ciee.org/IFDS/index.html
For information or assistance, contact:
Director of International Education & Programs
44 Pierrepont Avenue
Potsdam, NY 13676-2294
Telephone: (315) 267-2507 Fax: (315) 267-4890