Printer-friendly version

Declining Federal Pell Grant Funds

You may decline or return all or part of a disbursement of Pell Grant funds that you are otherwise eligible to receive. You may wish to decline or return a Pell award if you expect to qualify for a larger Pell Grant in future years as a result of an expected transfer to a more expensive college or if you expect your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) to be less in future years, qualifying you for a larger grant at that time.

If you are enrolled in summer, you may wish to decline or return the summer Pell Grant to reserve it for use in the fall and spring terms.

To decline or return Pell Grant funds, please contact the Financial Aid Office and request the Pell Decline or Return Form. Signature of this form indicates that you wish to decline or return the grant and that you understand these funds may not be available once the award year is over. You will need to specify on the form the term(s) you intend to decline/return your Pell award. Eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant is based on both academic and need-based eligibility criteria. Please be aware that you may be declining/returning Pell funds that you are eligible for now, but may not be eligible for later.