You are here
CSTEP is funded by a grant from the New York State Education Department and was created over 25 years ago to address the shortage of minority and low income students pursuing careers in the sciences, mathematics, engineering, technology, health, or the licensed professions.
CSTEP is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
In order to be admitted to CSTEP, students must:
- be a New York State Resident;
- be from an under-represented background (Black, Hispanic, or American Indian/Native Alaskan) OR meet NYS income guidelines;
- be pursuing a CSTEP major or a career in a CSTEP profession; AND
- have earned a 2.50 or better cumulative grade point average. First year students can be admitted provisionally until GPA is established.
*Income includes student income as well as income from those who claim student as a dependent.
Income Eligibility Criteria, please contact our office for current eligibility information.
All students applying under income guidelines must submit documentation along with their application form. The CSTEP staff will assist in identifying the proper documentation to submit.
How do I apply?
Submit completed application form (available through CSTEP office - 206 Sisson Hall) and an up-to-date resume. If you are applying under the income eligibility criteria, documentation is required; copies of tax returns are the most common form of documentation. See the CSTEP staff for additional income eligibility information.
CSTEP Eligible Majors/Minors at SUNY Potsdam
- Archaeological Studies
- Biology (BA or BS)
- Chemistry (BA or BS)
- 3+2 Program in Chemistry and Engineering (w/ Clarkson)
- Computer and Information Science
- 3+2 Program in Computer Science and Engineering (w/ Clarkson)
- Business Economics (Accounting Concentration)
- Business Administration (Accounting Concentration)
- Community Health (BA or BS)
- Creative Arts Therapy Minor
- Education (Secondary Science/Math)
- Environmental Science
- Exercise Science
- Geology (BA or BS)
- 3+2 Program in Geology and Engineering (w/ Clarkson)
- Mathematics (BA or BA/MA)
- 3+2 Program in Mathematics and Engineering (w/ Clarkson)
- Natural Science
- 3+2 Program in Physics and Engineering (w/ Clarkson)
- Pre-Law Minor
- Pre-Medical Sciences
* If you don't see your major above, you may be eligible for CSTEP if you plan to pursue a career in one of these licensed professions.