Greek Organizations provide members with a “Home away from Home.”
All fraternities and sororities at SUNY Potsdam share the common values of Friendship, Scholarship, Community Service, and Leadership. Beyond these four core values each fraternity and sorority has something that makes them unique, allowing students to find a chapter that is right for them.
More information about Greek Life or individual chapters can be obtained by visiting each chapter’s website or by contacting Julie Dold, Coordinator of Greek Life at (315) 267-2947 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building lifelong friendships and networks
- Greek organizations build lasting friendships, not just for four years, but for life.
- Alumni and active members can help students build strong bonds and connect with professional networks.
Serving the community
- SUNY Potsdam Greek organizations collectively completed 320 hours of community service and raised $15,000 for philanthropy during the 2013-14 academic year.
- In Fall 2013, the All Greek Council held its fourth annual Dance-A-Thon, a 10-hour dance marathon. This event raised $2,300 for the Potsdam Holiday Fund.
- In Spring 2014, members of the Greek community at SUNY Potsdam helped manage the comfort station at Relay For Life, and raised more than $11,000 for the American Cancer Society through the event.
- Every Greek organization has its own dedicated philanthropy, which they help support.
Opportunities to lead and learn
- A large benefit of being Greek is the wide range of learning opportunities to meet all kinds of new people and participate in new experiences.
- Greeks have the opportunity to attend SUNY Potsdam's Leadership Conference. In addition, one member from each chapter attends the Northeast Greek Leadership Association's annual conference.
- As members of their chapter, Greeks learn valuable skills such as running small organization, property and house upkeep, time management, conflict resolution and risk management.