Becoming a Greek
Students join Greek Life by engaging in the rush/new member process. Rush is the time period that students use to become better acquainted with fraternities or sororities in order to determine which one is the best fit for them.
Steps in the Rush process:
1. For Sororities: Students interested in joining a sorority will participate in formal rush where they will be asked, over a course of three weeks, to meet with every sorority and then spend time getting to know members of those sororities they are most interested in.
For Fraternities: Fraternities have a less formal rush process, but still encourage those men interested in joining a fraternity to get to know all of the options at SUNY Potsdam.
2. After the rush process, students are formally invited to join the fraternity or sorority through receiving a bid.
3. Accepting a bid begins the new member education process, which typically lasts 5 to 6 weeks. During this period, new members become better acquainted with other new members, current members and alumni of the fraternity/sorority, learn the history and values of the fraternity/sorority, and become aware of the mutual expectations held between the individuals and the group.
In order to accept a bid and begin the new member education process certain academic requirements must be met:
- Students must be in good academic standing, i.e. not on academic warning or academic probation, with a minimum 2.0 cumulative and previous semester GPA.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 12 college credit hours, post high school graduation.