Veteran & Military Benefits
SUNY Potsdam salutes your service to our country and values your contributions to the campus community. We are committed to providing you with the highest level of student and financial services, and are here to assist with any issue that may arise.
- Post 9/11(Chapter 33) - Qualified veterans and dependent students with transferred benefits at the 100% benefit level will receive tuition and fees, paid directly to the college. Those with less than 100% benefit will receive their prorated benefit level. Benefit is limited to a total of 36 months.
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) - Qualified veterans will receive 100% tuition and fees for up to 48 months.
- Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) - Up to $1,000/year ($41.67/credit hour) (unless your eligibility is prorated). Paid directly to the veteran in a lump sum amount each semester.
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) - Full cost of books. Paid directly to the veteran.
Monthly Benefit - Paid directly to the veteran or qualified dependent during periods of enrollment and while school is in session. Prorated based on course load:
- Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) - Qualified students are eligible for a monthly housing allowance equivalent to an E-5 rank with dependents based on SUNY Potsdam's zip code.
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) - Program provides a monthly subsistence allowance for living expenses for up to 48 months to assist qualified veterans with service-connected disabilities.
- Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) - Program provides a monthly education benefit for up to 36 months based on several criteria such as the length of service, type of training being taken, course load, and if the DoD put extra funds in the veteran's MGIB fund.
- Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)(Chapter 35) - Program provides education benefits to eligible dependents of certain veterans for up to 45 months. (Qualified students enrolled in less than half-time will be limited to monthly education benefits not to exceed tuition and fees only).
- Montgomery GI Bill- Selective Reserve (chapter 1606) - An education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve.
New York State Assistance
- Veterans Tuition Award (VTA) - Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, or other eligible combat veterans matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State are eligible for awards for full or part-time study.
- Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute (MERIT) Scholarships, (also known as Military Service Recognition Scholarship) –For children, spouses and financial dependents of members of the armed forces of the United States or of a state organized militia who, at any time on or after Aug. 2, 1990, while a New York State resident, died or became severely and permanently disabled while engaged in hostilities or training for hostilities.
- NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans - For students whose parent(s)have served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified periods of war or national emergency.