You are here
Health Requirements For Attending
All matriculated students taking 12 or more credit hours are required to have health insurance coverage. See the Student Health Insurance Plan webpage for further details.
In addition, Student Health Services (SHS) must ensure all new, re-admitted, and transfer students meet state and local health requirements. The submission of these forms is tracked for each student.
Failing to comply with the health requirements will result in progressive consequences.
- Move-in: If you live on-campus you may not be allowed to get your keys until you have visited Student Health Services.
- First week of classes: You will get a message to complete the requirements every time you use your Student ID card.
- Subsequent Weeks: Your ID card will be deactivated and you won?t be allowed to attend classes.
- 30 - 45 days after start of classes: If you remain non-compliant with the immunization or meningitis requirements you will be disenrolled from SUNY Potsdam, as New York State Law demands. Failure to meet all the other health requirements will result in a ?Hold? being placed on your account. You won?t be able to register for classes or receive yourgrades until the requirements are met.
Follow these two steps to complete your health requirements
Mail Or Fax Proof Of Immunity To Measles, Mumps And Rubella To Student Health Services
Rationale:Proving you are immune to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella is a New York State law, and is required for all students born on or after January 1, 1957.
Details:The law says that you must have received two doses of ?live? measles vaccine, and one each of mumps and rubella vaccines.
- The vaccines cannot be given more than 4 days before your first birthday.
- The measles vaccines must be given at least 28 days apart.
Choose one of these options to fulfill Step 1
- Send a copy of your immunization record to SHS. The copy must be signed by your medical provider or school nurse.
- See your medical provider to have blood tests done to check for immunity, then have the results sent to SHS. If the tests show you are not immune you must be vaccinated.
- Have your provider to fill out a ?Proof of Immunization Form? and have them send it to SHS. Copies of this form can be found online.
Complete The Online Health Forms
The online forms should be submitted as soon as you receive confirmation of your deposit with SUNY Potsdam. The information you enter is only accessible to the staff at SHS. Many people are experiencing difficulty completing the forms on mobile devices. Please consider filling them out on a desktop or laptop computer. Please call (315) 267-2377 or e-mail Student Health Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or difficulties completing them.
Access the online forms by following these instructions:
- Set your web browser to accept ?pop-ups? from shsweb.potsdam.edu
Click here for instructions on how to enble Pop Ups on your web browser.
- Log in to BearPAWS using your campus computer account username and password.
- Open the ?New Student Services? link.
- Click on ?Student Health Services Portal.?
- On the "Home Screen", go to the "To Do List" and click on "Forms."
- Complete the Health Information Form, Meningitis Response Form, and Tuberculosis Questionairre.
Health Information Form
This form asks you questions about your medical history, medications, allergies, and surgeries. If you click "yes" to any question, please wait up to a minute for a window to pop-up so you can add details. The information you submit is kept in your confidential medical record and is only accessible to the staff at SHS. Failure to submit this form will result in a ?Hold? being placed on your student account, with resulting consequences (see above).
Meningitis Response Form
Submission of a Meningitis Response Form is required by New York State law. Please note that the law does not require you to have a meningitis vaccine. Only submitting the Meningitis Response Form is required.
The Meningitis Response Form is completed by clicking on the link.The form will open, and you must select the appropriate response. Once this is done, click "submit." Submitting this form is required for all new and transfer students (even if you've completed one at a prior school), but only for some re-admitted students.Failure to submit this form will result in disenrollment from SUNY Potsdam after 30 - 45 days after the start of classes.
The US Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends college students answer a series of questions to screen for tuberculosis risk. Using this method, only some students will need actual testing for tuberculosis.
You will be instructed to have further testing for tuberculosis if you are at risk.
If you are required to have further testing for tuberculosis, it must be completed BEFORE ARRIVING ON CAMPUS. Make an appointment with your medical provider and have them fill out the printable version of the Tuberculosis Testing Form. Your medical provider should follow the steps on the form and fax or mail it to Student Health Services.