This semester the Modern Languages department will award $1, 000 to one of our Spanish majors traveling abroad to study Spanish at a university in Spain or Latin America. Applicants for the award must have declared the Spanish major.
All application forms must be handed to the secretary of Modern Languages.
- Applicants will submit an application form with a written plan of study and an essay describing why they are interested in this opportunity;
- The award recipient will be a Spanish major in the sophomore, junior or senior year, and must have studied at Potsdam at least one year before traveling abroad, and return to study at least one semester to Potsdam after his/her time abroad;
- The overall grade point average will be at least 3.0;
- The grade point average in Spanish will be at least 3.0;
- The recipients will commit to undertake at least one semester of study in a Spanish speaking country at a recognized school at the collegiate level;
- The recipients will agree to do one presentation to their peers, submit a written report to the department chair, and a copy of it to the Spanish section head one month upon returning from his/her experience abroad;
- Where other criteria produce equal candidates, financial need, an enthusiastic commitment to the language and motivation to do a presentation, will be determining factors.