The world around us is changing fast and COVID-19 has impacted us in more ways than we can name. We look forward to getting back to the things we all cherish.
As a result, for the first time in 28 years, this year’s 2020 Local Government Conference will not be held. The planning committee did not make this decision lightly, but the health and safety of our participants will always come first.
The planning committee has compiled professional development resources for each conference track. We know how important ongoing professional development is to our officials and the communities they serve. Resources can be found below. We will continue to update this webpage as opportunities are found or developed by our professional networks.
We look forward to seeing you in 2021 and wish you and your loved ones the very best as we all do our part in this important fight.
Local Government Conference
Chief of Staff
Professional Development Resources
Please find below a number of links to online training resources for Public Works officials. Other municipal officials may find some of these resources helpful as well.
- Siewert offers contact hours for water, wastewater and professional engineers. Several of these courses for credit and they are free.
- American Water Works Association offers several Webinars for DOH credit for Water Operators for a fee.
- New York Rural Water offers several online courses for DOC and DEC credit for a fee.
Please find below a number of links to online training resources for Planning and Zoning Board of Appeals officials. Other municipal officials may find some of these resources helpful as well.
- Department of State Training
- Online Interactive Courses
- Recorded Webinars
- Check the schedule for future webinars in the coming weeks.
Alternative Training Sessions (Please check with your local municipality to make sure that they will accept these sessions as training toward the 4 hours of required annual training):
Finally, if your municipality is a member of NYMIR please check out the NYMIR Online University. A password is required for these sessions but is available to members.
Please find below a number of links to online training resources for Board Members/Budget and Finance officials. Other municipal officials may find some of these resources helpful as well.
This summer the New York State Comptroller's office, local government division, has been presenting a series of webinars on various local government topics. Their schedule can be found online.
NYS OSC is free.
Please find below a number of links to online training resources for Assessor officials. Other municipal officials may find some of these resources helpful as well.
The training and continuing education credits for the Assessment Track of the 2020 Local Government Conference, can be completed online through the New York State Assessors’ Association. The organization is making available many online classes throughout the fall by registering at their website. An interested person can click on the Education Tab then choose on a One-Day Seminar presented virtually through WebEx or click on the Annual Fall Conference held on October 5th & 6th 2020 also through WebEx.
No in person training will take place at this time due to the COVID-19 Epidemic.
Listed below are the One-Day Courses available:
To register online, click on the name of the seminar you'd like to attend from the website.
If a class is listed here, it is not yet full and you may still register.
- Real Property Tax Law for the Assessor Part I, WebEx, August 31, 2020
- Dealing with an Angry Property Owner, WebEx, September 11, 2020
- Ethics and the Assessor, WebEx, September 18, 2020
- Real Property Tax Law for the Assessor Part II, WebEx, September 21, 2020
- Reassessment in a Small Community, WebEx, October 22 & 23, 2020
- PILOT Administration, WebEx, November 19, 2020
- Preparing for a Reassessment, WebEx, December 3 & 4, 2020
- Valuation of Amish & Non-electric Properties, WebEx, December 4, 2020
Go to the website to view the courses offered at the Annual Fall Conference on Oct. 5 & 6, 2020.
To register by mail, send a check or your municipality’s completed voucher for the amount for which you qualify. Make checks payable to New York State Assessors Association. Mail to NYSAA, 116 Salina St., Suite 8, Liverpool, NY 13088. To register by fax, fax your registration and voucher to (315) 410-5660. Or, register and pay online at www.nyassessor.org. Questions? Call (315) 706-3424 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing Education Hours /Re-Certification Credits
The Institute of Assessing Officers will award six (6) re-certification credits to all Institute members who attend this seminar. Eligible assessors and county directors who attend will receive education credit and reimbursement from ORPTS, pursuant to their rules.
Please find below a number of links to on-line training resources for Community Development officials. Other municipal officials may find some of these resources helpful as well.
Funding and other Grants-related resources:
- NYS Regional Economic Development Councils & Consolidated Funding Application (CFA)
- NYS Grants Gateway
- NYS Environmental Facilities Corporation
- NYS Department of State Division of Local Government Services
- NYS Department of State Office of Planning and Development
- USA.gov for Nonprofit Organizations
- Candid (previously The Foundation Center)
- The Grantsmanship Center
Additional Sources of Information Related to Community Development
- Center for Creative Land Recycling
- Community Heart & Soul
- Citizens’ Institute for Rural Design
- Community Toolbox - KSU
- Community Facilities Technical Assistance and Training - USDA
- Recreation Economy for Rural Communities – U.S. EPA
- Design Connect – Cornell University
- Environmental Science Center – Syracuse University
- The Redevelopment Institute