SUNY Potsdam makes every effort to resolve student complaints internally, using policies and procedures outlined in the current catalogs and student handbooks. Students should utilize administrative procedures to address concerns and/or complaints in a timely manner. Links to relevant procedures are below.
- Grade Appeal Procedures
- Academic Honesty Violations
- Student Conduct & Community Standards
- Non-Academic Complaints: Complaints that are not related to an academic grade or integrity concern should be directed to the department chair, academic dean, or department director as appropriate for assistance.
- Bias Incidents Report
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- SUNY Harassment and Discrimination Policy
- Affirmative Action
- Title IX
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Criminal Activity: Complaints involving matters of a criminal nature, such as assault, battery, and theft should be directed to the University Police Department at (315) 267-2222
In the unlikely event that an issue cannot be resolved by the College, students may file a complaint with New York State Education Department. This agency should be contacted only after the student has registered a complaint with the College and has not received a response to the request for resolution. Information on its complaint policies and procedures can be found here.
Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Room 960 EBA
Albany, NY 12234
Telephone: (518) 474-1551
Unresolved complaints may also be filed with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the University's regional accrediting agency, once all other avenues have been exhausted. Information on its complaint policies and procedures can be found here.