January 14, 2021
We are excited to have you return to SUNY Potsdam for the Spring 2021 semester. This email details the steps that you need to take in order to safely return for the start of the semester. Please make sure to visit the Move In Guide for more detailed information. While these are our current plans for a safe return for the Spring 2021 semester, the ongoing health pandemic and updated guidance from New York State/SUNY may result in changes.
- Schedule an appointment to be tested.
SIGN UP HERE BY JANUARY 20
- On-campus students will be able to choose a time to check in between January 28 and 31. Please note that you will not have access to your building until you are tested.
- We know that off-campus students may choose to return to Potsdam prior to the start of semester. Off-campus students will have the option to choose any of the testing dates between now and the start of classes, or arrive for one of the official move-in days (1/28-1/31). You must choose the first testing date after your planned return to Potsdam.
- Monitor your symptoms starting 2 weeks before your arrival. To assist with this, we encourage you to use the symptoms tracker, which you can find in the Student Health Portal in BearPAWS. If you experience symptoms, schedule a COVID-19 test at home and wait for the results before returning to campus.
- Self-quarantine 7 days before you arrive. This is a critical step; failure to do this will result in you needing to quarantine for 14 days on campus. If you are arriving from out of state, please review the NYS requirements carefully.
- Download the event pass through GetInvolved. This semester we will be tracking student testing through the event pass; you will need this every time you come to testing this semester.
- Make sure you remember your login information for testing. We will continuing to use the saliva testing through Upstate Medical University.
- Arrive to campus on your selected day and time. In order for us to be able to process everyone, and to keep density low, it is important for you to arrive to campus as close to your appointment time as possible. We know that traveling to Potsdam in the winter can be difficult, though. Check out the Move In Guide for what to do if you are late.
- Remember the restrictions. In order to have your test, make sure you have not brushed your teeth or used mouthwash within 3 hours, eaten or drank anything nor smoked/vaped within 30 minutes.
- Get tested in the Barrington Student Union Multipurpose Room. Testing has moved... so don't go to Maxcy Hall! Please pay particular attention to the traffic patterns for entering the Union.
- Get settled in. You will be asked to quarantine on campus until you receive your test results (usually within 48 hours). Follow all the distancing guidelines when moving in. Finally, get ready for a safe and successful semester.
We were able to be successful in the fall due to your incredible hard work. We know that with your continued efforts, we can have another great semester. We would like to remind you that students will still be expected to follow the BEAR COVID-19 Pledge and that violations will be addressed per the uniform SUNY-wide sanctions.
We look forward to seeing you soon and will be planning Student and Family Town Halls in the coming weeks to answer any questions that you might have. Please keep an eye on your email for the invitations to those events, which will be coming soon.
Julie M. Dold
Director, Residence Life
Interim Dean of Students