Individuals and groups are welcome to post advertising materials on the SUNY-Potsdam campus. Materials not in compliance will be removed without notification. The following are in effect for all areas of all campus buildings.
- Materials shall be appropriate for a college campus and shall not advertise activities or events which are illegal.
- Materials shall include the sponsor of an activity or event as well as a specific date and time for the activity.
B. Placement of Materials
- Materials shall be posted on bulletin boards which are designated for that type of material. They shall not be posted on doors, windows or walls. The exception to this policy are notices dealing with college designated emergencies.
- Only one poster per activity may be placed on any one bulletin board.
- Posters may not exceed 14" x 22" (half of a regular poster board) due to limited space. Exceptions may be made by individual building administrators.
C. Administration of Posting Policy
- The administration of this policy shall be the responsibility of the Director of Student Life Facilities. Those using college posting space and individual building administrators should contact this person with questions & problems related to this policy.
- All decisions regarding posting of materials on campus may be appealed. The Appeals Board shall include a designated administrator from the Office of Residence Life (selected by the Director of Residence Life), the Dean of Students, one resident member of the Student Assembly (selected by the Student Assembly), one non-resident member of the Student Assembly (selected by the Student Assembly), one student appointed at large by the SGA Executive Committee. Decisions on appeals must be made within 5 business days.
- Individuals or groups who do not comply with these guidelines or who, without authorization, remove materials placed by other individuals or groups may be denied access to the campus for posting of materials and may be subject to disciplinary action.
- Banners should be attached to the tack strip on the balcony railing and may not exceed 6’ in height. Banners are limited to on-campus sponsored activities only. Advertising materials should be appropriate for a college campus. Advertising materials shall not refer to the availability of alcoholic beverages (price, quantity, brand, type, specials, etc.). All banners should include the date of the event and the sponsoring organization. Individuals or groups who do not comply with these guidelines or who, without authorization, remove materials placed by other individuals or groups, will be subject to disciplinary action. All banners must meet New York State Fire Code.
F. College responsibility
- It shall be the responsibility of the Assistant Vice President for Facilities to convene a meeting of all building administrators to fully explain the Campus Posting Policy.
- It shall be the responsibility of a designee of the Assistant Vice President for Facilities to meet with all maintenance supervisors to fully explain the Campus Posting Policy and to require their participation in removing of inappropriate or outdated materials.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Director of Residence Life (or designee) to include appropriate training of Resident Assistants as relates to this policy in the Residence Halls.