Literacy Mentoring Program
Mission: This after-school literacy program strives to provide local children, grades K-8, free mentoring services in the hopes that they will develop a life-long love of literacy.
Collaborative Partners: SUNY Potsdam departments of Literacy and Childhood Education, local school districts, graduate assistants, work study students, and the Corning Incorporated Foundation through the Corning/Canton Plant.
Responsibilities of Mentors:
- Work in small groups with elementary/middle school students
- Write a lesson plan for each mentoring session
- Reflect on each lesson taught
- Be available for all 8 weeks of the program
- Be available M/W 3:15 - 4:45 p.m. or Tu/Th 3:15 - 4:45 p.m.
America Reads Challenge
Mission: To unite every citizen towards the goals of ensuring that our nations' children read well and independently; through the Literacy Center, eligible work study students are sent out into local schools to assist teacher with the implementation of their literacy program.
Collaborative Partners: America Reads is a federally funded program set up through the "GOALS 2000" initiative in education.
Responsibility of Tutors:
- Attend an orientation and participate in an interview process
- Act and dress professionally.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist their sponsor teacher to prepare materials for lessons.
- Work one-on-one or in small groups with students.
- Work with the sponsor teacher to secure schedule.
- Each tutor may earn a total of $1,200.00 (at a rate of $8.00-9.50/hour - dependent upon previous experience with the program) over the entire year (max. amount of hours you can work each week is 20 hours).
Contact: Tina Wilson-Bush
Write-Spot Writing Club
Adolescents in grades 5-12 who want to explore writing in fun and creative ways are invited to particpate in the Write-Spot Writing Club. Be inspired as a writer at the SUNY Potsdam campus! College mentors will conference with school students to assist them with their writing school work if requested. Students of all writing levels are welcome!
Coordinator: Cindy Wells
Pirate Math Initiative
Elementary students in grades 3 & 4 can participate in the fun and exciting math program. Learn More and Apply!