January 15, 2021
Dear faculty and staff:
As the Spring 2021 semester is fast approaching, we wanted to remind you of the details regarding the return of students to campus and to our area. Messages to our returning residential and off-campus students went out yesterday, with more information on the steps each student must take as they plan for a safe return.
As a reminder, here is an overview of the move-in process, which all returning students are being asked to follow:
- Schedule: Per SUNY requirements, classes are scheduled to begin on Feb. 1, with instruction remaining virtual for the first two weeks of the semester. On-campus students may choose a date to return between Jan. 28 and 31. We recognize that off-campus students may opt to return to Potsdam sooner, or may not have left the area. They will also be required to complete the symptoms tracking, self-quarantine and mandatory COVID-19 testing (see below) prior to the start of classes, and may choose from earlier testing dates depending on their availability.
- Two weeks before students return: Per SUNY guidelines, all returning students must begin monitoring their health symptoms daily beginning two weeks before their scheduled move-in date. Information on how to access the student symptoms tracker (through BearPAWS) can be found here.
- Seven days before students return: Also per SUNY requirements, students must complete a seven-day self-quarantine prior to arrival on campus. The self-quarantine guide and calendar can be found here. Students traveling from noncontiguous states or internationally must follow additional requirements.
- Testing upon arrival: Students must sign up for a move-in date ahead of time and are expected to arrive as close their scheduled testing appointment as possible. Student testing will now be held in the newly reopened Barrington Student Union Multipurpose Room. When students arrive on campus, they will immediately proceed to the Union to complete their pooled saliva test through Upstate Medical University. Additional testing instructions and information on what students should do if they miss their appointment can be found in the student move-in guide.
- Move-in and self-quarantine: After completing testing, residential students will be able to access their rooms. More details on the public health expectations for move-in can be found in the move-in guide. All students must continue to self-quarantine until receiving their test results. All campus dining will be take-out only until Feb. 15, at which point we will review opening dining spaces along with other campus areas, following all of our initial campus testing.
As always, while these are the current plans, the ongoing health pandemic and updated guidance from New York State/SUNY could result in changes. More information is available at potsdam.edu/prepared.
If you have questions, please contact me, as Student Health Services is quite busy at the moment.
We do plan to hold another Virtual Town Hall for faculty and staff regarding Spring 2021 semester planning in the coming weeks. Please keep an eye out for that invitation and for more information as it becomes available.
Interim Dean of Students