Undergraduates at SUNY Potsdam are encouraged to obtain extra career related experience in their chosen field by doing off-campus internships. Contact the Experiential Education Office at (315) 267-2507 or visit their website to learn more. Examples of previous internships in which Computer Science students have participated include:
- Black River Systems Company, Utica, NY
- Lockheed Martin, Stratford, CT
- WayNorth, LLC, Watertown, NY
- Griffiss Institute, Rome, NY
- Juiced Technologies, Ronkonkoma, NY
- Alice, New York, NNEK, Fayetteville,
- NCGe Global Research, Niskayuna, NY
- Subcontracting Concepts Inc, Queensbury, NY
- IBM, Poughkeepsie, NY
- AXA Equitable Life Insurance, Syracuse, NY
- CheckWise Payroll, Albany, NY
You must complete a "capstone experience" as part of your degree requirements, a unique feature of the CS program at SUNY Potsdam. Capstone experiences give you the opportunity to demonstrate your ability to apply the knowledge and skills you have acquired in the classroom and lab, typically to the solution of a real-world problem. You will ordinarily complete a capstone experience in an internship (under the direction of an external sponsor from industry) or through a senior project (under the direction of CS faculty).
At the conclusion of your capstone experience, you present both oral and written reports about your project. Your oral report is typically delivered at a meeting of the Board of Advisors.
The applied nature of a capstone experience gives you a competitive edge in seeking employment following graduation. This is especially true if you complete your capstone experiences through an internship: interns are frequently offered full-time positions at their internship companies after graduation.