Instagram Combined Shape quotation Created with Sketch. 69

Many students want or need to work while at college, and, although international students can work in the USA, there are certain restrictions on their employment options.

International students can only work on the campus of the university they are attending - they are not permitted to work for private employers elsewhere, or for other colleges. This applies both while college is in session, and during the vacation or school breaks. Because on campus employment is normally low paying and cannot be guaranteed, international students should not plan for or rely on income from an on campus job to help pay their student account.

Once an international student has a formal offer of employment, they must apply for a U.S. social security number, by appearing in person at the U.S. Social Security Administration office in nearby Ogdensburg, which is about 45 minutes from campus.

The application process is usually straightforward and transportation to the SSA office in Ogdensburg will be provided by the college when warranted. Once a social security number has been obtained, students may work for up to 20 hours a week when college is in session, and full-time during the official school breaks (Fall Recess, Thanksgiving Recess, winter break, February Recess, Spring Recess, summer break).