The following program services will be available to you as an enrolled Bridges student at SUNY Potsdam:
- All new Bridges students are assigned to Bridges Adviser who will contact them over the summer to discuss course selection.
- You will also meet with the Bridges staff during your orientation to review program services, to sign a learning contract which specifies your obligations as a Bridges student.
- Your assigned Bridges Adviser will serve as your main contact with our program.
- Assistance is available with personal, academic, social, financial and career concerns.
- As a new student you will be required to meet with your Bridges Adviser at least every month during the fall semester to review your academic progress.
- The amount of required contact during the spring semester depends upon your academic standing at the conclusion of the fall semester.
- All Bridges students should plan to talk over their course selections with their Bridges Adviser.
- In addition to helping you select and register for appropriate courses, we also ensure that you understand the College's General Education Program and academic requirements.
- You can receive, upon request, free tutoring assistance in any of your content courses as long as tutors are available.
- Group content tutoring is available to you through the Student Success Center in Sisson Hall (some students may be eligible for free one-on-one tutoring. Learn More
All-Bridges Group Meetings
- During each semester you are required to attend group meetings which are designed to assist your successful transition to SUNY Potsdam.
- These meetings will cover both academic and non-academic topics.
- The Bridges Director will contact you directly when, meetings are scheduled.
Selecting A Major
- Since approximately half of our students enter their first year without a major field of study (we call this an "Exploratory" major), a focus of the Bridges program is to assist you in this selection.
- There are program activities during each semester which are designed to help you clarify your career goals and select the major which best prepares you to meet them. Exploratory students are encouraged to enroll in a career development course, which is offered for course credit through the college.
- During the fall semester you will discuss options with your Bridges Adviser and attend the College's Major Affair program designed to introduce you to academic departments at Potsdam.
- Once you formally declare a major area of study you will be advised by a faculty member in your chosen department, although you are still expected to meet regularly with your Bridges Adviser.
Bridges Student Restrictions
Since getting off to a good academic start is very important, all Bridges students must comply with the following fall semester restrictions: