Federal Student Aid (FSA) has initiated the soft launch of the 2024-2025 FAFSA form beginning 12/31/23. Students and families will have ample time to complete the 2024-2025 FAFSA and do not need to rush to fill out the form immediately. FAFSAs will not be transmitted to the college until mid March at the earliest.
Who should complete a 2024-2025 FAFSA?
Any student enrolling in Summer 2024, Fall 2024 or Spring 2025 classes at SUNY Potsdam should complete a 2024-2025 FAFSA. You can complete the FAFSA online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
For more information about applying for financial aid, visit this webpage.
What to expect from the 2024-2025 FAFSA?
- Contributors (the student, parent, student’s spouse, or parent’s spouse), including those without a Social Security number (SSN), will be able to create a StudentAid.gov account to access and complete the online FAFSA form. Contributors who already have a verified account username and password will use their existing credentials to sign in and access the form. We recognize there are many technical issues for users without an SSN. Updates will be coming from FSA when these issues are resolved.
- Applicants may experience a waiting room feature, which will help control website volumes to ensure optimal performance of the form.
- Most contributors will be able to have their tax information shared directly from the IRS and will have no need to manually enter tax information, eliminating many questions and making the FAFSA form shorter to complete.
- All contributors must consent to allowing the IRS to share their tax information with FSA or the student will not be eligible for any federal student aid funding.
- After all sections of the online FAFSA form are completed and submitted, the student will receive a confirmation email noting their submission date, their estimated Student Aid Index (SAI), and estimated Federal Pell Grant eligibility. However, the student will not receive a FAFSA Submission Summary until FSA processes the FAFSA, beginning in mid March.
- View pro tips for completing the 2024-2025 FAFSA
What happens after submission?
- We will receive your FAFSA starting in mid March. You will receive an email from FSA informing you when that information has been sent to the college.
- You will receive an email from FSA with your FAFSA Submission Summary (FSS) to review.
- Due to the FAFSA changes, the college will need to complete programming changes and testing once the information is received. It will be several weeks before award packages will be available to new and continuing students. We anticipate award letters being available mid-late April. We will update this page if this changes as software releases and updates begin.
- If you were able to complete your New York State TAP Application, you will need to go back into the form and officially submit it once your FAFSA is processed in March within 45 days. If you have not been able to complete the TAP application, we believe you will be able to complete the application once you receive notice your FAFSA has been processed. View the TAP application here.
Thank you for your patience as we all navigate this change together. The 2024–25 FAFSA form expands eligibility for federal student aid, including Pell Grants, and provides a streamlined user experience. 610,000 new students from low-income backgrounds will be eligible to receive Federal Pell Grants due to updates to student aid calculations. Plus, applicants will be able to skip as many as 26 questions, depending on their individual circumstances. Some applicants could answer as few as 18 questions, which could take less than 10 minutes.