SUNY Potsdam Recognizes Faculty & Staff Members for Excellence
SUNY Potsdam recently honored dedicated faculty and staff members with Chancellor’s Awards and President’s Awards at the College’s annual Employee Recognition Ceremony, which also recognizes major milestones and retirements.
This year, four employees received Chancellor’s Awards, while another nine were honored with President’s Awards.
The Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence are SUNY-level honors, conferred to acknowledge and provide system-wide recognition for consistently superior professional achievement and to encourage the ongoing pursuit of excellence.
This year’s Chancellor’s Award recipients were as follows:
Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Faculty Service:
Professor of Business Administration Dr. Joe Timmerman was honored for his engagement and continued commitment to the College through his critical leadership as chair of the business administration department and recent service on the newly revised Council of Chairs and Program Directors. Beyond these essential campus roles, he is an active leader in the wider community and has had a very positive impact on the residents of St. Lawrence County.
Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service:
For nearly 18 years, Director of Stewardship and Engagement Sherry Paradis has helped to shape how students, faculty and staff experience Potsdam; how Potsdam is recognized with image and distinction, and why individuals choose to trust and support Potsdam with their own money. She was recognized for possessing a blend of intuitiveness, work ethic, passion and a commitment to helping to move the College forward.
Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities:
Professor of Mathematics Dr. Joel Foisy has a proven record of excellence in research and scholarship, publishing more than 20 papers in peer-reviewed journals and accumulating over 160 citations by 140 different authors. His work has had a significant and positive impact on the students of the College, and he was particularly recognized for increasing the prestige of the mathematics program.
Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching:
Professor of Music Education and Trumpet Dr. James Madeja is a teacher of deep dedication, with pedagogical skill and content knowledge across a wide range of topics. He was recognized for his devotion to the success of every student he teaches, whether in the classroom, in an ensemble, in his trumpet studio, or in a graduate project or class. He was further honored for his profound commitment to the field of music education, and as such to the entire profession of teaching.
In addition, SUNY Potsdam honored nine recipients of the College’s President’s Awards for Excellence, which are campus-level honors for distinguished service and achievement.
“Those receiving 2019 President’s and Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence have shown the highest levels of service to the College, through their outstanding accomplishments, and their devotion to teaching, scholarship and professional service. I am proud to recognize their extraordinary talents and the mark they have made on the SUNY Potsdam campus,” said President Kristin G. Esterberg.
This year’s President’s Award recipients included:
- President’s Award for Excellence in Academic Advising: Bridges Program Academic Advisor Kristin Jordan
- President’s Award for Excellence in Auxiliary and College Educational Service: PACES Dining Services/Lehman Dining Center Cashier John Bard
- President’s Award for Excellence in Clerical Service: Crane School of Music Secretary 2 Karen Miller
- President’s Award for Excellence in College Service: Professor of History Dr. M.J. Heisey
- President’s Award for Excellence in Fostering a Welcoming and Inclusive Campus Climate: Director of Student Health Services/Family Nurse Practitioner Tracy Harcourt
- President’s Award for Excellence in Operational Service: Stores and Mail Operations Supervisor Marcy Lottie
- President’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service: Assistant Facilities Program Coordinator Roy Smith
- President’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities: Professor of Music Education Dr. Mark Campbell
- President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching: Associate Professor of Archaeology Dr. Timothy Messner
To find out more about employment at SUNY Potsdam, visit http://www.potsdam.edu/offices/hr.
About SUNY Potsdam:
Founded in 1816, The State University of New York at Potsdam is one of America’s first 50 colleges—and the oldest institution within SUNY. Now in its third century, SUNY Potsdam is distinguished by a legacy of pioneering programs and educational excellence. The College currently enrolls approximately 3,600 undergraduate and graduate students. Home to the world-renowned Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam is known for its challenging liberal arts and sciences core, distinction in teacher training and culture of creativity. To learn more, visit www.potsdam.edu.