Instagram Combined Shape quotation Created with Sketch. 69

Veteran / Military Friendly Benefits

As a veteran, you are entitled to a variety of benefits that will help facilitate your pursuit of higher education at SUNY Potsdam.

  • To review your benefit options, please see: Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Parking Fee Waivers: Student must be a Veteran who has received an honorable discharge from their respective branch of military service. In order to receive a parking fee waiver, present a copy of your DD-214 to the University Police Office showing your honorable discharge.
  • Recreational Facilities Fee Waiver: Submit a copy of your DD-214 to Scott Schulz, Coordinator for Military, Veteran, and Adult Learners, Sisson 128C.
  • Possible credit for military training and experience. In order to have your military transcripts evaluated, please utilize the Joint Service Transcript website (Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps & Navy) or CCAF Transcript (Air Force) and have your transcripts sent to the SUNY Potsdam Admissions office.
  • Graduate Student Application Fee Waiver: Available to all military/veteran students and their dependents. Please select "pay later" when completing the online graduate application. You must then contact the office of graduate admissions, (315) 267-2165, to inform them of your military/veteran or dependent status. They will then waive the $50 application fee.

CMilitary Affiliated Student Support:  IF you are Veteran or family member of a Veteran, you are in the right place!

In addition to being the SUNY Potsdam dedicated Veteran and Military Support Services Coordinator, I am also your VA Benefits Certifying Official.

Welcome!  There are a couple very important documents we will be using and needing throughout your SUNY Potsdam experience.

They are:

  • VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
    The COE is requested by you from the Veterans Affairs (
    VA) website. It is mailed to you directly and you are the one responsible to share it with my office to best assist you. The COE is important to you for a couple reasons. 
    • First, it clearly states the number of months and days of benefits you are entitled to.
    • Secondly, it specifies exactly what VA Chapter of benefit you are entitled to. (Examples include but not limited to Post 911 Montgomery GI Bill or Dependent Educational Assistance DEA)
    • Finally, by you providing me with your COE, I am entitled to then award you the VA benefits from that COE, such as Tuition and Fees or monthly housing allowance.
  • SUNY Potsdam Benefits Request Form
    This form MUST be completed and sent to me every semester that you wish to use VA benefits. Watch a video on how to fill out this form here.

    This local form is important to you for several reasons:
    • First, without this form authorizing me to use your benefits, I cannot request them. 
    • Secondly, this form provides me with your contact information and all relevant benefits information including your signature, acknowledging you are requesting to use your benefits and that you will keep me informed as to your academic progress and challenges.
  • CHAMPVA School Enrollment Certification Letter

    If you are a Student receiving Chapter 35 Dependent’s Educational Assistance (DEA)

    You will need this form sent in to the VA every academic year. You will fill out this form and fax it to SUNY Potsdam’s Military and Veterans Support Services office at (315) 267-3268. The form will then be certified, signed and faxed to CHAMPVA.

    View Monthly Enrollment Verification Communication Toolkit


We are glad to serve you. You are likely looking to use your VA Educational Benefits, or you are wonder what benefits you might be eligible for.  Either way here is some helpful information to get you started.


To best assist you with your unique questions and benefits, please connect directly with our One Stop office by emailing or calling (315) 267-2943.