Instagram Combined Shape quotation Created with Sketch. 69

Cross Registration

Note: Students wishing to cross-register at SUNY Potsdam are required to be fully vaccinated and must adhere to all additional SUNY Potsdam protocols that are in place.  Pease contact Jennifer Cootware with any questions you may have about cross registration.

Students are required to complete coursework on our campus, if available, then through the Associated Colleges agreement, and finally through SUNY cross registration.

Student Guide: Cross-Registration through:

The Associated Colleges of the St. Lawrence Valley (ACSLV) course exchange allows a student registered at SUNY Potsdam, SUNY Canton, Clarkson University, and St. Lawrence University to take classes on the other three ACSLV campuses at no extra cost and without going through separate admissions procedures. Tuition is paid only to the home institution. View Cross Registration Regulations & Forms

Participating Colleges:


  • Cross-registration is open only to matriculated undergraduate and graduate students and full-time staff members within the member institutions of the Associated Colleges of the St. Lawrence Valley.
  • Eligible students and staff may register for a maximum of two (2) courses per academic year. Exceptions to this limitation may be made by the institution offering the course.
  • Students are able to use the credits they are cross-registered for to count toward the minimum credits required to be full-time at their home institution.


  1. Students begin the cross-registration process at their home institution by obtaining a form from their Registrar's office or online. At SUNY Potsdam, students may also contact Jennifer Cootware or call 267-3483 for further assistance. The form must be submitted two weeks prior to the start of classes. Students seeking cross registration at SUNY Canton must also complete the online cross registration SUNY Portal request.
  2. After a student has identified courses for which he/she wishes to cross-register, the student must complete the Transfer Credit Request Form (PDF) and obtain the signed approval of his/her program advisor to ensure that the course satisfies the student's program and credit-hour requirements and that the course is unavailable at the home campus.
  3. Graduate students must also obtain the signed approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies of the school offering the course.
  4. The completed cross-registration form must be returned to the Registrar of the institution at which the student is officially enrolled or employed.
  5. Cross registration is offered on a space-available basis only. Students will be notified one week prior to the start of the class if space in the class is not available. In this case, the student has the option of obtaining permission to enroll in the class from the course instructor, by completing an add/drop form from the institution at which they wish to enroll. The add/drop form can be obtained from, and should be returned to the Registrar's office at the school which is offering the course.
  6. Students will be enrolled as part-time, non-matriculated students at the host institution, and must abide by the host institution's attendance regulations, honor systems, parking regulations, etc. Students must also adhere to the host institution's policies and procedures for incompletes, withdrawals, pass/fail, or adding or dropping a cross-registered class.
  7. In general, the institutions in the consortium schedule different starting and ending dates and vacations. The student is individually responsible for arranging to keep up with the course work despite calendar disjunctions, and in some cases, must arrange for food and lodging when dormitories on the home campus are closed.
  8. All students taking a course on a campus other than their own must abide by all appropriate attendance regulations, honor systems, parking regulations and the like at the receiving institution.
  9. At the completion of the course, the Host Institution will provide a transcript to the Home Institution (at no cost to the student) for transfer credit purposes.

If your plan includes cross registering for coursework on another campus, this is the preferred option and must be explored prior to looking outside of the Associated Colleges.


Criteria and applicable situations for SUNY cross registration during the Fall or Spring semesters: 

  • Students must be in good academic standing.
  • The course(s) must be required for your degree.
  • No course is being offered at SUNY Potsdam in that academic term that fulfills the degree requirement(s).
  • The course(s) must not be offered within the Associated Colleges (SUNY Canton, Clarkson, SLU) in that academic term.
  • Students must demonstrate that the lack of course availability in this term, at SUNY Potsdam and the Associated Colleges, will result in increased time to degree.
  • Students must be registered for at least six credit hours offered by SUNY Potsdam.
  • No more than six credit hours of cross registered coursework are allowed per semester.
  • All cross registration requests must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the start of SUNY Potsdam classes.
  • You are limited to a total of 19 credits per semester. Requests to exceed the allowed credits per term across institutions will be denied.
  • Students must check for any additional restrictions/requirements with the visiting institution.

Criteria and applicable situations for SUNY cross registration during Summer session:

  • Students must be in good academic standing.
  • No more than six credit hours of cross registered coursework are allowed per summer.
  • All summer cross registration requests must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the start of the session.
  • Students must check for any additional restrictions with the visiting institution.
  • If you would like to use financial aid for summer session, please review this link for more information and how to apply. Please apply early to ensure it does not delay your request!

* Not all SUNY schools participate in summer cross registration. Please check with the host university before submitting your request.

SUNY Cross Registration is not available during Winter session(s).


  1. Complete the appropriate Transfer Credit Request Form: Undergraduate or Graduate and obtain applicable signatures.
  2. If the transfer credit request receives campus approval, complete the SUNY online cross registration request in the SUNY Portal. All subsequent course notifications and other communication will take place via the SUNY portal.
  3. If you are cross registering with a community college, obtain a Certificate of Residence (COR). This is a required step for Community Colleges to be assured a student can be offered in-state tuition. Students are able to obtain a certificate from their County Clerk.
    • Students who do not complete this step will be responsible for the non-resident tuition expense.


  1.  A Student Consortium Agreement must be completed. Please confer with One Stop, Raymond Hall 4th floor.
  2. If your academic advisor approves your request, register for the coursework directly with the other institution(s).
  3. Be sure to follow through with the instructions listed within the Consortium Agreement.

Study Abroad and National Student Exchange


  1. Students interested in Study Abroad and National Student Exchange must begin the process by meeting with International Education & Programs, 107 Crumb Library.
  2. Complete the Transfer Credit Request Form (PDF) and obtain applicable signatures.
  3. Once transfer credit approval is granted, the Registrar’s Office will notify International Education & Programs.

More information about Study Abroad & National Student Exchange can be accessed online.