The Master of Arts program in Mathematics is designed to develop the student's ability to work independently and to obtain basic knowledge in algebra, real and complex variables, and topology so that mathematics literature can be read with understanding and enjoyment. Successful completion of this degree will give you the background and experience to enter the second-year of a doctoral program in mathematics, become a faculty member at a junior college or community college, or launch a career as an industrial mathematician in business, economics, or banking. Graduates are employed by companies such as Aetna, AT&T, IBM, General Electric, Kodak, the National Security Agency, and Hewlett Packard. Others have received fellowships at reputable universities, and many have earned doctoral degrees in mathematics or statistics. Mathematics also blends well with engineering, economics, physics, chemistry, computer science and music, among others. For educators with initial certification in mathematics, this degree will also satisfy the requirements for professional certification to New York State.
What You Will Learn:
- The foundation for rigorous thinking in pure and theoretical mathematics together with their applications in a variety of practical contexts from computing to statistics.
- In depth-knowledge of real and complex variables, abstract algebra, number theory, and topology.
- Enhanced skills in quantitative reasoning and understanding of the deep concepts of upper level mathematics.
- Opportunities to conduct your own research, cultivate your own creativity, and become part of a longstanding tradition of mathematicians investigating analytic, geometric, and algebraic ideas.
Unique Program Features:
- Option to write a thesis for those students with superior achievement and keen interest in a topic. A thesis is not required.
- Degree planning is tailored to support your unique career goals, with electives and customized projects allowing for individualized study.
- Small class sizes promote close relationships with professors and fellow mathematics classmates. Students graduate with a cohort who provides support throughout the length of their future careers.
- Flexible scheduling with full-time and part-time options, and early afternoon and nighttime classes offered.
"I loved my time at SUNY Potsdam, and my professors have continued to be my mentors and friends as I navigate my professional life. I am so thankful to have been a part of the mathematics department!"
~ Leanne Merrill, Alumna