SUNY Potsdam encourages you to continue your education through graduate degree programs in 16 disciplines. Apply today!
The SUNY Potsdam graduate admissions process is a lot like the experience you can expect in each degree program — highly individualized to the applicant and specific to the program of entry.
Just as graduate programs at SUNY Potsdam continue the College’s tradition of small class sizes and faculty accessibility, the Office of Graduate & Continuing Education is dedicated to enhancing the entire graduate student experience, and works with you as you explore Potsdam straight through to graduation.
General Graduate Admissions Requirements
Even though the SUNY Potsdam graduate admissions process is highly individualized, certain application requirements are necessary for all master’s degree applicants.
Questions? We're here to help:
The Office of Graduate & Continuing Education
Raymond Hall 206
SUNY Potsdam 44 Pierrepont Avenue
Potsdam, New York 13676-2294
(315) 267- 2165
Learn more about the following:
All graduate applicants must show evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree from a duly accredited college or university, typically through submission of an official transcript obtained through the registrar’s office of each prior institution attended.
Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for the purpose of obtaining an admissions decision. However, proof of completion of bachelor's degree requirements, and conferral of that degree must be submitted no later than the end of the fourth week of classes.
For MST Adolescent Education program applicants, the equivalent to an undergraduate content major in the chosen field is required (i.e. BA or BS in Physics, English, or Literature).
A minimum undergraduate grade point average as indicated within each specific program of study. All programs utilize the most recent 60 credits for GPA purposes (unless otherwise indicated):
- The MA Math program requires a minimum 2.75 GPA in the most recent 60 credit hours.
- The following programs require a 3.0 GPA in the most recent 60 credit hours:
MSEd Curriculum and Instruction
MSEd Special Education
MS Community Health
MST Childhood Education
MST Adolescent Education (English, Math, Social Studies and Science)
MSEd Educational Technology Specialist
- The following programs require a 3.0 overall GPA:
MM Music Performance
MM Music Education
Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) , Inclusive and Special Education
Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS), College Teaching
Note: Conditional admission may be available for certain programs
Application deadlines refer to a time that all components of an application must be submitted and the application is ready for review by the appropriate admissions committee.
“Spring” refers to a January start, “Summer” refers to a May start, and “Fall” refers to a start in August or September.
- Crane School of Music: For Master of Music degree programs in music education and performance, deadlines are as follows:
Spring - November 15 (Note: This deadline is for all materials except the audition, which may be taken in December)
Graduate Assistantship and Crane Scholarship consideration for the following academic year - March 2nd
Summer - May 1
Fall - May 1
- Note that deadlines for all other programs are recommended deadlines for full consideration of all available funding opportunities. However, programs evaluate and admit applicants on a rolling basis.
Recommended deadlines are:
Summer - March 1
Fall - April 1
Spring - October 15
Program Specific Application Checklists
Depending on which graduate degree program you plan to apply to, you may be required to submit supplemental application materials.
Before you submit your completed application to SUNY Potsdam graduate programs, download and check your program’s specific application checklist:
- Master of Science in Teaching (MST), Childhood Education 1-6
- Master of Science in Teaching (MST), English 7-12
- Master of Science in Teaching (MST), Science 7-12
- Master of Science in Teaching (MST), Social Studies 7-12
- Master of Science in Teaching (MST), Mathematics 7-12
- Master of Science in Education (MSEd), Special Education
- Master of Science in Education (MSEd, Literacy
- Master of Science in Education (MSEd), Curriculum and Instruction (Note: For professional certification and general education tracks)
- Master of Science in Education (MSEd), Educational Technology Specialist
- Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS), Inclusive & Special Education
- Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS), College Teaching
Some applicants to SUNY Potsdam’s graduate programs need to complete additional application procedures, or receive further information.
Learn more about requirements for the following special cases: