This program prepares students for technology leadership and management positions in a range of industries, including private sector, the military, social service agencies, K-12 schools, and higher education. There are two tracks of study offered for completion of this degree program. For students holding an initial teaching certification, this degree leads to recommendation for an additional New York certification as an Educational Technology Specialist, and satisfies the academic requirements for Professional Certification. The program meets the standards established by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) and is NCATE certified. A second program track is available for non K-12 educators, who are not seeking certification, but are interested in applying educational technology principles in a variety of non-classroom contexts.
In the Fall 2012 semester, as part of a multimedia class for the MSED Educational Technology Specialist program, Trevor Dugan, Class of 2014, developed an app called PuzzleTopple. The app was published a year later and is available on both iOS and Android. Since the launch, the app has gone global, with 17,000 downloads in the Singapore region and over 25,000 downloads worldwide on iOS alone.
What You Will Learn:
- A broadly valued skill-set that will qualify you for positions in technology leadership and management in organizations such as military, social service agencies, K-12 schools and higher education
- The foundation to help an institution or business utilize technology to achieve their goals, including an understanding of performance analysis, information support, knowledge management, appraisal and other important themes and interventions.
- Instructional design skills for creating performance improvement systems, from classroom/lecture to individualized instruction, including content analysis, sequencing, goal analysis and instructional strategies. • Creative approaches for integrating technology into educational and business settings.
- Experience in webpage design and development, including an understanding of the design principles and hypertext markup language used to create websites.
- Hands-on practice with desktop publishing, designing newsletters, informational flyers, brochures, and other materials.
- A variety of elective options for deepening your skillset in technology utilization, including Computer Graphics, Video Design and Production, Multimedia Production, Distance Education, and Simulation and Games for Teaching and Learning.
Unique Program Features:
- Electives, applied learning opportunities, and customized projects during coursework allow for individualized study that supports your unique career goals.
- Invitations to attend professional development workshops and/or conferences to help further your understanding of educational technology content and pedagogy.
- Small class sizes promote close relationships with professors and fellow technology specialist classmates.
- Students graduate with a cohort who provides support throughout the length of their future careers.
- An adviser guides you through the entire program, providing support that greatly enhances your education experience.
“This degree prepared me well for all of the variety of problems and issues I would encounter in this job. It gave me the skills to troubleshoot, problem solve and find solutions and new ideas to improve my staff and students technology proficiency.”
~ Joe Hance, Technology Integrationist, Eden Central School