One of the nice things about attending college as an EOP student is that you will discover that you are not alone; there is plenty of support and assistance available.
The following program services will be available to you as an enrolled EOP student at SUNY Potsdam:
1. Laptop Loan
Current EOP students needing a laptop can request one HERE.
2. Orientation Program
All new EOP students (both freshmen and transfers) are required to attend their respective EOP orientation session. The EOP orientation programs are designed to provide you with information concerning our program services (familiarizing you with both college and EOP regulations) and to introduce you to our staff. Learn More
3. Counseling Assistance
- You will be assigned to an individual EOP counselor who will serve as your main contact with our program.
- Counselors provide help with personal, academic, social, financial and career concerns.
- As a new student you will be required to meet with your EOP counselor at least every two weeks to review your academic progress.
- The amount of required contact in subsequent semesters depends upon your academic performance.
4. Academic Advising & Selecting a Major
- All EOP students who have not formally declared a major area of study receive course advisement from their EOP counselor.
- In addition to helping you select appropriate courses, we also offer effective counseling in selecting a college major.
- Once you formally declare a major area of study you will be officially advised by a faculty member in your chosen department, although we will still be there to help.
5. Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
Tutoring is free of charge and is available for various lower-level and certain upper-division undergraduate courses.
Tutoring sessions are facilitated by a trained and experienced peer tutor. Sessions are scheduled at the mutual convenience of both the student(s) and the tutor.
Clicking the link below will direct you to our Starfish student support system. Sign in with your Campus Computer Account information (same as you use for Outlook, BearPAWS,etc), then click the “Raise Hand” button. Under the Type of Help Needed section, select “I Need a Tutor”.
Tutoring can be a great resource to help you succeed in your courses. Tutor requests are fulfilled subject to tutor availability. In order for all students to get the most out of the experience, students are expected to:
- Check your Potsdam email regularly. The tutoring process will contact you through this process with any/all information regarding your tutor request, and when a tutor connection has occurred.
- Your tutor will then contact you at your potsdam.edu email to begin the process of getting a date/time and location established for either 1:1 tutoring or Group Tutoring.
- Attend sessions fully prepared and ready to participate.
- If you need to cancel a session, you must notify the tutor, in an email, that you are unable to attend. This must be done at least 2 hours prior to the session.
- If you miss two tutoring sessions, without proper notification to the tutor through email, you will no longer receive tutoring for the remainder of the semester.
- Contact Annette Robbins (Sisson Hall 102) if you have any problems, questions or concerns about your tutor.
Tutoring is unable to provide tutors in the following areas:
- technique courses such as: Art, Dance, Drama, Music and Theatre;
- senior seminar courses in any department;
- cross registration and/or on-line courses offered by another institution.
- comp classes 100-500 level.
6. Financial Assistance
- All financially eligible EOP students are scheduled to receive EOP financial assistance for the academic year.
- The first portion is provided as a "book card" that students will use for the purchase of their textbooks and academic supplies.
- The remaining amount per semester is applied directly to your student account.
7. EOP First Year Seminar
- As a new freshman student you are required to attend this credit-bearing weekly seminar during the fall semester which is designed to ease your transition to SUNY Potsdam.
- FYSS 100 also allows you to maintain contact with other new students and quickly learn the "ropes" of beginning a college career.
8. EOP Student
- EOP staff advise and coordinate small student groups designed to provide peer and staff support in a small group environment-participation is optional
9. EOP Learning Skill Assistance
- Your EOP counselor will also provide you with much information concerning academic success strategies and study skills development.
- The EOP staff assistant will coordinate learning skills workshops designed to help students build their academic skill sets.
10. EOP Student Computer Lab
- Attached to the EOP office is a room containing two computers which are reserved for your exclusive use.
- The EOP staff is also available for assistance and instruction.
11. Community Events
The EOP staff coordinates regular weekly events such as:
- Holiday Party
- Stress Management Workshops
- Awards Ceremony
- Trips to local cities such as Syracuse, Ottawa, Lake Placid and Burlington