Departments announce on-campus job, internship and volunteer positions available to students by posting them to Handshake. SUNY Potsdam faculty and staff will need to create a User account and join the employer account for their department/program. This is only done once and then the user will have access to posting opportunities.
Creating an Account & Joining Handshake
- Register Online using instructions below
- Select the Employer account type from the options presented
- Fill out the information requested, making sure you use your @potsdam.edu email account. You will create a password specifically for Handshake which is different from your network password. Click Sign Up
- Enter your recruiting interests (this helps to identify students who may be interested, however does not limit which students see the job postings.) TIP: just select one so it allows you to move on with registration.
- Optional: you may bypass entering your Alma Mater by just selecting Next: Employer Guidelines or you may add the college you graduated from and year of graduation
Then click Next: Employer Guidelines
Third Party Recruiter: Select No.
Then, click Next: Confirm Email.
- Next, you will see the following screen, which contains instructions on how to verify your account via the email address you provided. The email should arrive within 10 minutes and will contain a link enabling you to confirm your account. You must click this link before you can proceed with the registration process. If you don't receive a confirmation email, please see our Confirmation Email Troubleshooting Guide.
- When the email arrives, click the Confirm Email button to verify your account.
- After you click “Confirm Email” in the email from Handshake, you will be brought to https://app.joinhandshake.com/login. This will be the link you where you will login from now on. Please save this link as a bookmark on your web browser.
Enter your email under Employers & Career Centers and click Next.
CAUTION: If you see a blue button that says SUNY Potsdam College Login, do not select this as this is only for students and administrators. Below this button states: "You can also sign in with your email address" Please use this link and login with your SUNY Potsdam email and password you created through Handshake.
- Enter the password you used to create your account. Click on: Sign In
- If you forgot your password or are getting an error, click on Forgot your password? to reset and create a new one. Please keep your password in a save place for future reference.
- Next, you will search for the employer name given to you in your email from Career Services in the search field and click on Search. If you did not receive this email, please contact Career Services for your employer name.
- Click on Request and a message will be sent to Career Services for approval.
- Click on Next: Connect to Schools
- You can skip this section by clicking Next: Finish
- Confirmation Screen. All new Users need to be approved by Career Services in order to join the company profile on Handshake. Please email email@example.com when you have completed this process to receive approval.
- Once approved, you may post opportunities! Career Services will review and approve all postings on Handshake and inform you if there are any edits needed before posting live to students.
|Posting Opportunities||Managing Applications||Scheduling Interviews|
Next Steps for Hiring Department
- Review applications, hold interviews, select candidate
- Identify if Hired or Declined within the application section of the job posting
- Expire job on Handshake (Job may be reactivated based on future needs)
- Contact Career Services for questions about Handshake
- Contact Human Resources for any payroll questions
Interested students apply for opportunities through Handshake by logging in with their SUNY Potsdam email and password and then following department instructions in the listing to apply.
- Sign up for Handshake using SUNY Potsdam email and password
- Search Handshake for on-campus jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities
- Apply through platform by uploading a resume and any additional documents required by hiring department
- Contact Career Services for questions using Handshake
- Contact Hiring Department for job related questions