Barrington Student Union Renovation Overview
SUNY Potsdam is undertaking a large renovation project to the Barrington Student Union, which commenced in July 2019 and will continue for the next year. This $8.6 million capital project will completely overhaul the building’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, making the union more energy-efficient and quieter when the project is complete. In addition, the entrances to Barrington will be updated and the lobby will be refurbished.
During construction, nearly all offices and event spaces currently located in Barrington will be closed or relocated, including the lobby and the entire second floor. This will create many inconveniences, as alternate spaces, paths and entrances are used. Temporary alternate doorways will be created for the functions that are remaining in use during the project. SUNY Potsdam will work to accommodate student events and activities in alternate campus venues while the project is underway.
SUNY Potsdam appreciates your patience with these changes during construction:
- The College Store and the Student Union Dining Court will both remain open throughout the project. Temporary alternate entrances have been created for the bookstore and the dining court on the west and south side of the building.
- The Student Mailroom will also remain open, and can be accessed via Sisson Hall.
- The Union Market will remain open until Sept. 8. After that date, it will be closed, and many items from the market will be brought over to the College Store and sold there instead temporarily.
- The WAIH Radio suite will also remain in use, with limited hours.
- The following offices have moved temporarily during construction:
- Dean of Students (Draime Extension, second floor)
- Campus Life (Draime Extension, second floor)
- Student Conduct (Draime Extension, second floor)
- Student Government Association (Draime Extension, third floor)
- Student Entertainment Services (Draime Extension, third floor)
- Pete’s Place (Merritt Hall, first floor)
- Venture Outdoors (Merritt Hall, first floor)
- The Racquette (Carson Hall, third floor)
- All phone numbers for relocated offices will remain the same. New office locations have been updated in the campus directory online.
- Meeting rooms and conference room spaces are being set up for campus use in Merritt Hall, to help replace those that will be unavailable during the Union renovations.
- The North Country Savings Bank ATM has been moved to the Lougheed Learning Commons, and is accessible during the building’s normal operating hours.
- Regarding building accessibility, the goal is to have the lobby reopened for pass-through use by the Spring 2020 semester (although renovations will not yet be complete). The lobby will not be able to be used for tabling or events during the Fall 2019 semester.
- Tabling for student groups will be held in the connector space between Kellas and Merritt Halls.
- Protected First Amendment speech demonstrations can be held in Minerva Plaza.
Are the building opening hours different?
- The Student Union Dining Court opening schedule will remain the same.
- The College Store will hold its regular hours until Sept. 8.
- The Union Market will hold regular hours until Sept. 8, when it will close temporarily.
- After Sept. 8, the College Store will lengthen its hours to be open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays, and from noon until 9 p.m. on weekends.
- The Student Mailroom hours will remain the same.
What about events and activities?
- All major annual campus events that in the past have been hosted in the Barrington Student Union will be held in different campus venues, while the project is underway.
- SUNY Potsdam will work to accommodate student events and activities in alternate campus venues. The Campus Life staff has been working throughout the summer to accommodate existing requests and will continue to do so as new space requests are made.
- SUNY Potsdam has been in contact with all outside groups that typically rent out spaces in the Barrington Student Union to let them know that we cannot accommodate community or outside events until the renovation is complete. Because we will have limited space to host events while this project is underway, campus groups and users will take precedence.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our campus!