Instagram Combined Shape quotation Created with Sketch. 69

Frequently Asked Questions

For Students

No, counseling services are free for matriculated students who are enrolled in the current semester.

No, the Counseling Center does not bill your insurance.

For appointment needs please call us at (315) 267-2330 or stop in to the Counseling Center at 131 Van Housen Hall.

If you are unable to attend your scheduled appointment, we request you call us at (315) 267-2330 to cancel your appointment by 3pm the day before your appointment. You will be charged a $20 no-show fee for missed appointments if you do not call to cancel/reschedule.

The Counseling Center’s email address is Counselors do not have a direct email address.

If you are in crisis (at risk of taking your own or someone else’s life, unable to resist urges of severe self-harm, are seeing, hearing or sensing things you know are not there) call University Police (315-267-2222) or call your local crisis center or emergency room.

Below are some additional options for support:

  • REACHOUT: (315) 265-2422
  • The Trevor Project: 866-488-7386
  • Crisis Text Line: TEXT Got5U to 741-741
  • Tribal support:
  • Suicide hotlines: 1-800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433) OR 1-800-273-TALK (800-273-8255)
  • 988- Suicide Crisis Lifeline- Dial 988

Counseling services are confidential for students 18 years and older and protected by the Federal Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA).

It is considered best practice to avoid replication of services. If you are currently seeing a therapist off campus, it is most appropriate to allow students who do not have this option the opportunity to utilize on-campus counseling services.

Counselors are able to consider writing letters of support for medical withdrawals for students who are current and continuing clients at the Counseling Center.

No. Our professional counseling organizations have recommended counselors do not provide supporting documentation unless also trained in animal behavior. We do not currently have a counselor on staff with this type of training.

We often see students on a bi-weekly basis, although due to school breaks, level of need, and high-volume times of the semester, students may be scheduled every three weeks. Students in need of weekly appointments may be referred off campus to a higher level of care. We do not have a limit on number of sessions, but do follow a brief, solution-focused model aimed at helping address the most acute concerns.

If you are concerned about a fellow student, please call us at (315) 267-2330 or stop in to the Counseling Center at 131 Van Housen Hall. Please do not email as this is not appropriate for issues requiring timely response.

For Parents

No.  Students who are 18 or older do not need parental consent to seek counseling services. Students who are under 18 can have their parent or guardian contact the Counseling Center at (315) 267-2330 to request a Minor Consent to Treatment form.

If you have concerns about your student, please call the Counseling Center at (315) 267-2330 so we may assist you.

In the event the Counseling Center facilitates the hospitalization of your student we make every effort to encourage a student to contact their parent or guardian. We will also request their permission to allow us to contact you. If the student does not give us permission to contact you, due to ethical guidelines surrounding confidentiality, we may be unable to inform you. If you are concerned about not being able to contact your student, please contact University Police at (315) 267-2222.

The Counseling Center provides individual and group counseling following a brief, solution-focused model. We also provide psychoeducational programming and mental health related trainings to the campus community. In addition, we are available for faculty, staff, and students for consultations regarding concerns or questions they may have. Another resource available to students is medication management as our staff includes a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner who can work with students who  are interested in starting medication or who currently take medication and require on-going follow up.

If you have a family crisis and wish to seek guidance about how to inform your student to ensure they have immediate support, please call the Counseling Center at (315) 267-2330 so we may assist you.