TRIO offers TRIO students one 1-to-1 peer tutor each semester. Our peer tutors must have a overall GPAs of 3.0 and at least 3.3 in the classes they will be tutoring. All tutors go through a mandated tutoring orientation and work closely with their assigned students, the course instructors, and the Tutorial Coordinator.
How to apply for a TRIO tutor
Please click HERE to apply for a TRIO tutor.
Peer Content Tutoring
Tutor requests are fulfilled subject to tutor availability. Please be aware when you apply for a TRIO tutor you are responsible for meeting with your assigned tutor for a minimum of 4 hours during this semester.
If you do not accumulate 4 hours with your TRIO tutor, you will only be eligible to receive group tutoring next semester.
TRIO is unable to provide tutors in the following areas:
- technique courses such as: Art, Dance, Drama, Music and Theatre;
- senior seminar courses in any department;
- cross registration and/or on-line courses offered by another institution.
- comp classes 100-500 level.
- View Other Tutoring Options
Resources for Tutors
Being a Tutor: Strategies
- 10 Golden Rules for Being a Good Tutor
- The First Tutoring Session
- Tutoring Adult Learners
- Learning Styles 101
- What is tutoring? SUNY Potsdam Faculty Share their Thoughts (PDF)
- Faculty Expectations of SSS Tutors (PDF)
- What Materials are most useful for tutors to have? (PDF)
- The VARK Questionnaire (PDF)
Lesson Plans and Payroll Schedule
- 2019 - 2020 TRIO Time Sheet (PDF)
- Spring 2020 Payroll Schedule for ALL Tutors (PDF)
- Tutor Guide (PDF)