Commencement 2021: Saturday, May 22, 2021
Following extensive conversations and in line with updated public health guidelines, SUNY Potsdam will host a series of small ceremonies to honor the Class of 2021, livestreamed online and incorporating special recognition of graduates who cannot attend in person.
Save the date: Saturday, May 22
Helen M. Hosmer Concert Hall
Crane School of Music
- Ceremony A: 10 a.m.
- Ceremony B: 12:30 p.m.
- Ceremony C: 3 p.m.
- Registration is required to attend, and you will be assigned a timeslot. Graduates will receive an email to your @potsdam.edu email address by Monday, May 3, with your date and arrival time.
- Regalia is required to participate, and you must order regalia by Wednesday, April 21 (which is an extension from the previously announced deadline). Regalia can be ordered online. Please note that as in years past, SUNY Potsdam recognizes Native American traditional attire and military dress uniforms as acceptable regalia for Commencement.
- Masks must be worn the entire time, and social distancing of at least 6 feet should be maintained among individuals who are not in the same household, except for when being handed your degree (yes, after sanitizing your hands) while crossing the stage.
- For students who have been studying remotely and out of the area, you will be able to return for your ceremony, if you provide proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID test within 72 hours, per New York State regulations.
- We cannot underscore enough that the SUNY sanctions for violations of COVID-19 related restrictions still apply. If you are found to be in violation of the COVID-19 restrictions, it can jeopardize the awarding of your degree. We know you want to celebrate with your family and friends, but please, be smart and be safe—no large parties or unmasked gatherings, especially including people outside your bubble and those who are not fully vaccinated.
- For students who are unable to attend or not comfortable with attending in person, we will honor you by reading your names in the ceremony, alongside your classmates. We will be asking the “virtual” graduates who are interested in having their name read, to submit a photo and additional information to be shown during one of the ceremonies.
- In addition, President Esterberg will Zoom with any graduating student and your families to mark the occasion, should you wish.
- Likewise, if you can’t make it back this year for any reason, you will be welcomed back in 2022 to participate in our traditional ceremony if you choose.
- No guests are allowed, due to public health restrictions. Each ceremony will be livestreamed and recorded via the College’s YouTube channel. You will receive an electronic invitation to forward to your family.
- Please be smart and cautious when celebrating your loved one. We will have arrangements to allow for socially distanced and safe outdoor family photos on campus. But we cannot encourage unsafe gatherings and will ask all family members and friends to support their graduates by viewing the ceremony online and honoring them at a later time in a safe way, following all current CDC guidelines.
Show Your Potsdam Pride
- Go to www.facebook.com
- Click update on your profile picture, select add frame.
- Search for a frame by typing "SUNY Potsdam Class of 2021," or search for the SUNY Potsdam page.
- Choose the frame you want to use from the results.
- Click Use Profile Picture.
Add some maroon & gray to your commencement celebrations! Show off your Potsdam Pride with these signs, pennants, party banners and food toppers.
Simply download the sign(s) below and print at home on standard 8.5" x 11" paper or resize and send to your local print shop. The files below are vector images, which can easily be resized for larger formats.
Proud of My Grad
Class of 2021
Simply download the pennant(s) below and print at home on standard 8.5" x 11" paper or cardstock. You can also send to your local print shop. The files below are vector images, which can easily be resized for larger formats. Once printed, trim around edges and display your pennant proudly!
The signs below, available in three different color combinations, are to be printed on 8.5" x 11" paper or cardstock. The files are multi page documents. Once you've printed the file trim around each banner piece. To assemble, simply glue or tape the banner pieces to twine and hang where you’d like.
Download the file below and print on cardstock. Once printed, trim around the edge of Max C. Bear as well as the eyes. Glue the mask to a small wooden dowel rod.
Download the file below and print on 8.5" x 11" paper or cardstock. Trim around toppers and glue to a toothpick or small dowel rod. Insert in top of cupcake.