As part of SUNY Potsdam’s ongoing commitment to campus safety, University Police has launched Rave Guardian, a free mobile app that turns any smartphone into a personal safety device. By downloading this free safety app, SUNY Potsdam students and faculty can enhance their personal safety.
With Rave Guardian, users can create a profile of information about themselves, to be used in the case of emergency. You can also invite family and friends to join your network as your “Guardians.” When needed, the user can request for one or more of their Guardians to virtually walk with them on or off campus. It’s like having an emergency blue light system and a trusted friend with you at all times.
The app also has a safety feature that directly connects you to University Police in an emergency situation, as well as the ability to submit an anonymous tip to UP, should you see something suspicious.
To download, simply search for “Rave Guardian” in the Apple or Google Play app stores on your mobile device.
How does the Rave Guardian app work?
- Register and set up an account: Users can add their name, campus address, medical notes and other pertinent information for campus safety in case of emergency.
- Easy emergency communication: In an emergency, a one-button call to campus safety officials will display the user’s Guardian profile and current location.
- Add and message Guardians: By adding roommates, friends and family to their network, users can feel safer when walking alone, on or off campus. Guardians can also be messaged directly through the app.
- Set a safety timer: In the event a student feels unsafe, they can set a timer with their current location, indicating where they are going and when they should arrive. In the event they do not make it there and de-activate the timer, the user’s Guardians will be immediately alerted.
- Send tips to police: If you see something, say something. The app allows users to anonymously text suspicious activity to University Police, including photos.
Questions? Contact the CTS Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (315) 267-4444.
Looking for information about Potsdam Rave Alert, SUNY Potsdam’s emergency alert system? Check out the Rave Alert Website.