Be a part of the Crane tradition
The Crane School of Music requires prospective students to complete auditions, in addition to completing an application through SUNY Potsdam’s regular College admissions process. You can complete these in any order.
- Schedule and complete an audition
- Apply for undergraduate or graduate admission
- Request letters of recommendation that speak specifically to your musical abilities
All auditions during 2020-2021 will be by video. Unfortunately, we will not be able to conduct any live auditions this audition cycle. The 2020-2021 Audition Registration Forms will be available in late September.
Students should register for one of the following audition days. On each audition day we will be conducting virtual information sessions with Crane faculty and students on all aspects of the School. In addition, most auditioning students will have a virtual live interview/meeting with the appropriate studio faculty as part of the audition process.
- Saturday, December 12, 2020 (last day to register/provide video links: November 29, 2020)
- Saturday, February 6, 2021 (last day to register/provide video links: January 24, 2021)
- Saturday, February 27, 2021 (last day to register/provide video links: February 14, 2021)
- Detailed information format, recording, and submitting your video auditions can be found below under "Video Auditions Details & Tips."
- Audition repertoire can be found online. Faculty are currently reviewing these requirements in light of our move to all-video auditions, so we recommend you review the requirements for changes and clarifications after September 15th.
- You can submit your audition links when you register for your audition. If you do not have them at that time, they can emailed to email@example.com.
- All auditioning students will be considered for music scholarships. However, priority will be given to students auditioning on December 12 or February 6.
- If you need to cancel or change your audition date, please notify Crane as soon as possible.
- Following each audition day, audition results typically arrive within two to three weeks following the audition. (To be informed of your audition results, students must have completed their application to SUNY Potsdam.)
Video Submission Guidelines
- All video submission will be via links.
- Crane accepts video auditions by YouTube link (preferred) or Vimeo. If you are an international student and cannot provide video links through YouTube, please let us know what video streaming site you will be using.
- Students may link to one video which contains all pieces/movements/songs on it, or they may submit a separate link for each piece/movement/song.
- Video links can be submitted when registering for an audition by copying links into the comments box at the end of the Audition Registration Form. If you do not have your links at the time of registration, you can email your links to firstname.lastname@example.org, after you have completed the audition registration, as long as they arrive by the deadlines (below).
Basic Video Requirements
- Please make sure your video is of a high quality and is as close to a live performance as possible. Do NOT use a close microphone or any audio processing.
- Because pianists and vocalists are required to perform from memory, frame the video so it is clear the auditioning student is not reading from music.
- Do not cut and paste different takes for any single piece/movement/song.
- We cannot accept audio-only audition recordings (CD, mp3, etc.)
- If you are doing a vocal audition and do not access to piano accompanist, Crane may be able to provide one through our network of alumni. You can request assistance via email@example.com. Provide us with your name, audition date, and your location (town and state). Please make your request well ahead of your video submission deadline.
- If you need assistance with getting a video recording with good quality audio, Crane may be able to provide help through our network of alumni. You can request assistance via firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide us with your name, audition instrument and date, and your location (town and state). Please make your request well ahead of your video submission deadline.
- Your video must arrive at The Crane School of Music by the registration deadline in order to be considered.
- For the Saturday, December 12, 2020 audition day, the last day to register and provide video links: November 29, 2020
- For the Saturday, February 6, 2021 audition day, the last day to register and provide video links: January 24, 2021
- For the Saturday, February 27, 2021 audition day, the last day to register and provide video links: February 14, 2021
Are you interested in pursuing our Bachelor of Music degree program in musical studies with an emphasis in composition? We want to hear your work!
In addition to completing your performance audition, you must also submit a portfolio of your original works to be considered for the composition program. Submit two or three original scores of contrasting character that best highlight your creativity and potential for compositional growth.
- Scores can be submitted as Finale or Sibelius files, or in PDF format.
- Live recordings are encouraged, but not required. Recordings should be submitted in MP3, WAV or AIFF formats. Audio files larger than 5 MB may be submitted via Dropbox or posted to a site like SoundCloud.
- Materials should arrive by the audition registration deadlines noted above.
- Questions and email submissions should be directed to Dr. Timothy Sullivan at email@example.com.