Instagram Combined Shape quotation Created with Sketch. 69

Admissions FAQs

What we look for:

  • Holistic review of application requirements
  • Average accepted student GPA 88

Submit one of the two application options:

  • Complete the SUNY Application or Common Application.
  • Pay the $50.00 application fee.
  • Official high school transcript(s)
  • A letter of recommendation, preferably from a school-based counselor or teacher.
  • A personal essay

 SUNY Application

  • Official high school transcript(s)
  • SUNY Supplemental Application (included essay section)
  • One letter of recommendation from a school based counselor or teacher
  • SUNY EOP Supplemental form (if applying for EOP)


Common Application

  • Official high school transcript(s)
  • Essay
  • One letter of recommendation from a school based counselor or teacher
  • SUNY EOP Supplemental form (if applying for EOP)

We offer a variety of visit options. Find visit information, including event registration forms, on our Visiting SUNY Potsdam page.

  • Campus tour
  • Virtual Tour
  • Student-guided Virtual Tour

Check out all the ways you can visit campus, including our virtual campus visit!

The average accepted student has an 88. However, we work with students with lower and higher GPA’s.

The earlier the better, however, SUNY Potsdam has rolling admission, so we review applications as they are completed. We typically enroll new first-year students up to the beginning of each spring/fall semester

You can apply using either the SUNY Application or the Common Application.

Detailed information for international transfer students interested in applying to SUNY Potsdam is available here.

It is also important to connect with the International Education Office

  • By mail:

          SUNY Potsdam Office of Admissions
            44 Pierrepont Ave.
            Potsdam, NY 13676

  • By email:
  • By Fax: (315)267-2163.
  • Through the SUNY Potsdam Application Portal
  • Guidance Counselor may submit transcripts through the SUNY Processing Center in Albany—through Campus Connect.
  • Yes, to both questions! In order to grant transfer credit, we will need official documentation from the source where the credit was earned.
  • For example: You can submit: official AP, IB, or CLEP score reports; Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) reports for most military credits; or official transcript(s) for credit earned at another college; click here to view undergraduate transfer credit policies including AP and CLEP transfer equivalents.
  • For a fall semester start we begin releasing decisions October 1st
  • For a spring semester start we release decisions as soon as all required application materials are received and reviewed, generally within 24-48 hours.

In your application, you may select a major of your choice. If unsure, you can apply as a undeclared/exploratory. Once on campus, you will have the chance to declare any major(s) and minor(s).

On your application there is a spot to indicate you would like to be considered for EOP.  EOP is for New York State residents and applicants must be ineligible for regular admission. Entering EOP freshmen typically have high school averages that range from 78 to 85.

Income Eligibility Requirements for EOP applicants will be requested by the Admissions Office. Documents such as a federal tax return, W-2, social security form, unemployment benefits, child support, disability compensation and supplemental security form could be some of the forms requested after review of the SUNY EOP Supplemental form.    

  • High school transcript (if you've attended a public or private high school for grades 9-12)
  • Homeschool transcript
  • One letter of recommendation (not from a family member)
  • Personal essay
  • One of the following:
    • A letter of equivalency from the home district superintendent stating the home school curriculum is pursuant to NYS regulation 100.10
    • TASC/GED exam score report

If you are a Veteran or a Dependent, you should connect with Potsdam’s Military & Veterans Student Services Coordinator, Scott Schulz,, (315) 786-2449.

Admitted students that choose Potsdam and decide to pay the enrollment deposit will get an email with access to a Potsdam Campus Computer Account (CCA) and a web link to detailed instructions explaining how to proceed.

These informational emails start being sent at the following times:

  • Spring semester students: mid-November
  • Fall semester students: mid-March

You will use your CCA information to log into BearPAWS and follow your New Student Checklist to complete the required orientation steps. Then, after you complete these steps, you will be able to schedule a class advising/registration appointment which is done over the phone or virtually.

After you complete the required orientation steps, you will schedule a virtual or phone meeting with an academic advisor who will help you select and register for courses and answer any questions about academics you may have!

  • You can use the Undergraduate Catalog to see the required courses for each academic program, as well as the general education requirements.
  • You may use BearDen to track your academic progress

New students are considered for academic merit-based scholarships.  More information about those and other unique scholarship opportunities can be found here.



Over 80% of SUNY Potsdam students receive Financial Aid. The FAFSA application opens October 1st.

  • Students receive an email (to their Potsdam email account) from the Student Accounts Office when the semester bill is available.
  • The bill can’t be generated until a student registers for classes.
  • The E-bill is located in the Student Services & Financial Aid section of BearPAWS.
  • First-Year students are encouraged to live in our First-Year Experience (FYE) housing located in Bowman South. Find more information here.
  • Students may select other housing options if they would like, with exception of Lehman Hall and Townhouses.
  • It is very easy to get involved on campus and meet new people. There are almost 100 clubs and organizations on campus, and if there is not a club that sounds interesting to you, you can create your own!
  • There are also lots of athletic events, music/dance/theatre performances, outdoor activities, three other local colleges, and much more.